Sick Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Nov 18, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    So far I have four runner ducklings. One of them came out crested, and he's the one I'm worried about. He's extremely listless and doesn't care if the other three move away from him, he just sleeps and doesn't move. He can walk because I put them all on the floor to check them out and he would follow my hand all over the place.

Also, his eyes seem about half the size of the other ducklings.

Do you think something could be wrong?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I'd give him a few drops of poly-visol drops(you can buy this at walmart)without iron. And make him a wet mash with his food and makes sure he has plenty of food, drink, and rest. I'm sure you know this, but make sure the food is unmedicated. Good luck!

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

[email protected]@2four :

I'd give him a few drops of poly-visol drops(you can buy this at walmart)without iron. And make him a wet mash with his food and makes sure he has plenty of food, drink, and rest. I'm sure you know this, but make sure the food is unmedicated. Good luck!

Ducks can have medicated food these days.

If they aren't on duck formulated food, you probably do want to add some niacin to their diet. I'm unsure of how much. Hopefully someone else can help with dosage.​

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    i thought i read somewhere that cresteds have a chance of having develpmental problems because the crest is a result of a hole in the skull...if thats true maybe thats is your baby's problem...does anyone know if that is true?

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Not necessarily a hole, but a skull deformity...yes. And yes, it could have developmental problems. Keep it hydrated and give it a little vitamins and see if it helps. If it doesn't, I doubt it is your fault. Remember, ducks in the wild have big clutches for a reason. Not all of them make it.

6. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Hoping your little one gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by