Sick Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckADuck, Jun 27, 2011.

1. DuckADuck

DuckADuck New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Hello,
    I am babysitting my friend's duckling who we got for him on his birthday. Just yesterday he started falling over and having trouble walking. I thought it might be a leg or tail injury but both are scratch-less and don't appear injured. He is a 2 month + old Silver Appleyard Call Duckling, still a young duck. His name is Senor Archibaldo de Pato, Mr. Duck for short. He lives alone. I'm really worried about him. He is still eating and drinking but his poop is appearing more liquid green/white than solid lately. His neck is crooked a bit and he shakes his head a lot more. He also sneezes from time to time. He has a lot of trouble walking, but he's still trying, and mostly just leans on his tail which he bends for balance or the side of the tub I have him in. I thought it might of had something to do with his living in shavings (as instructed by the woman we bought him from) so I now have him in a fairly spacious tub with blankets under him. I'm changing them out like a mad woman so he isn't prone to being in his own feces. He falls onto his back and flails a lot, especially when he tries to groom himself. From what I've researched he fits the symptoms of Riemerella anatipestifer Infection or "New Duck Disease" most closely. I'm not 100% positive though. I bought him for $15 and don't really have enough money to bring him to a vet. I'm going out to a local pet feed store to buy Penicillin which I believe will help him if I can get him a proper dosage. Any Advice?

2. DuckADuck

DuckADuck New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    I haven't left his side all day and have been playing soft music to him including "Put One Foot In Front Of The Other" from the animated Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer movie... Needless to say I'm pretty attached to this little critter, even though he belongs to a friend of mine. Any advice is much needed and appreciated.

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I have a couple pekins but not the expert on ducks. Being that I think there is something serious wrong with this duck, hoping someone with more experience responds but sounds like a neuro problem. By the way what kind of feed are they on, they can't have medicated chick feed which can cause neuro symptoms.

4. DuckADuck

DuckADuck New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    He is on a feed of wild bird feed blend (of crushed corn, milo, millet, wheat, and sunflower seeds) plus oats and a small portion alfalfa pellets. We also let him root around in the grass to find bugs and throw in a cricket or meal-worm from time to time. I thought it may be a neurological issue too until he fit the symptoms of Riemerella anatipestifer Infection perfectly.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Go to the store and get Niacin, not the slow release and not the non-flush version. Avoid anything that says hex.... Walmart does not sell the correct one, but I think Albertsons does. Mix 100 mg in 1 gallon of drinking water. Give this as the only water drinking option. Niacin is the most common deficiency and it has the symptoms you describe. The duck should improve within 48 hours. Keep it on it for a whole week and then once per week until 3 months of age, after that once or twice per month. Commercial feed usually does not have enough of it in it, unless it is designed for waterfowl.

6. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Oh no, that is the wrong feed. You need feed for ducks or for chicken. Get a grower/developer feed with 16% protein. Not a layer mix.

7. DuckADuck

DuckADuck New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    I hear from some other sources that I can sprinkle Brewers Yeast or give him bugs to supplement Niacin. Would that work?

8. DuckADuck

DuckADuck New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    I think I may go and buy him proper duck food along with penicillin...

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I would suggest a multi vitamin mix would have the greatest effect if his problems are due to the incorrect feed. It is likely he is deficient in many different nutrients - not just one so treating for all will give the fastest improvement if the problem has been diet related. - Beware also of giving antibiotics if there is no infection of any kind present as they could have a negative effect on the bird. It can in some cases upset the digestive tract meaning he may absorb even less nutrients. Th way you describe the poop could indicate sign of infection - but also from being malnurished.

10. DuckADuck

DuckADuck New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Thanks,
    Yes what I've decided to do is change his food to a duck mix of 18% protein with oats and maybe another ingredient to lessen the protein % to around a healthy 16%. I have also bought vitamin supplements to put in his water. I will try this for the time being but if he fails to get better or begins to get worse, I am going to try the penicillin. I have researched the antibiotic drug and it is both good for curing what he has and in the correct dosages will not harm him if he does not have an infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by