Sick Duckling??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dolly1218, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Dolly1218

Dolly1218 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Ok so my little Rachel has been sneezing all day today. She is 6 days old, and i am worried she might be sick. Could she just be allergic to something? Is there any medicine I can give her? I tried to call a vet but everyone is closed on sundays so I thought asking everyone on BYC would be the next best thing :) Should I seperate her from her 2 sisters? There is no gunk around her eyes or nose and she runs from me when I reach into their brooder. Although after she sneezes her nose is just a little runny but not much. I have noticed she has been laying down more, when shes drinking water shes laying down, same with eating, and she only moves away from the heat lamp when she is eating/drinking. So what do you all think? Should I take her into a vet tomorrow? Or give her some kind of medicine? If you need more information, let me know. Thank you!!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The fact that she runs away form you at least means that she has some energy. One thing that may be making her sneeze is if she has some food or a bit of feather in her nostril. You may not be able to see it, but giving the ducklings clean water that is deep enough to dip their whole bill in might help. You can provide them with a little time out side of the brooder with water that is deep enough to dunk their whole head in. Just pat them dry and put them into the brooder with access to the heat lamp afterward.

If it is something irritating her nostril then hopefully she will clear it out. Keep an eye on her and if she is lethargic tomorrow and you don't get any other suggestions from other BYC members then you may want to consider calling the vet.

3. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Thank you. After 2 baths she seems better, so maybe she did have something in her nose..

4. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Baths work well. I had all mine in a shallow sink of water at three days old, and added peas that sank to the bottom so they would dive after them. Not only did it help with cleaning out their noses, but it aids in the development of their oil glands.

Don't forget about the niacin. Also, you might to want to check out the duck forum on BYC. A lot of information can be found there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Ducks and geese need access to water deep enough to flush their noses out with otherwise they have problems. It makes a blooming disaster of their brooders, but it is necessary.

Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

6. Dolly1218

Jan 4, 2012
    Colorado
    Their water is deep enough but they dont put their heads into their water dish. Their brooder is suprisingly clean all the time. When they take baths only 2 will put their heads under and clean their noses. The littlest duckling wont touch the water. But Rachel is doing much better, I havent heard her sneeze since her baths.

I never thought of adding peas! Im going to try that tomorrow. I posted this in the duck forum also, but I got so worried I posted it everywhere to get everyones opinions! [​IMG] Thank you all again for all the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by