sick duckling

luluann

Songster
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
Tennessee
I don't know what happened for it to become sick. I have 2 and one of them is nice and healthy. The other acts sick. Not sure what to do. Is there anything I can do?? Anything I can give it. I have water and food in their brooders. I change the water every time I go on to check on them. I check on them often like every hour. It was fine till about 2 days ago.

I don't know what happened for it to become sick. I have 2 and one of them is nice and healthy. The other acts sick. Not sure what to do. Is there anything I can do?? Anything I can give it. I have water and food in their brooders. I change the water every time I go on to check on them. I check on them often like every hour. It was fine till about 2 days ago.

How old is your duckling? and what are the symptoms? also if you'd give deatils like what you are feeding what does your set up look like what are the temps in your brooder. Thanks.and what breed

Last edited:
Age well I'm not sure they came from tsc on Valentine's day.
It didn't have much energy till I washed its bill for it. Um.. its legs are crossed like it stands on its other foot when standing. Its feet was real red but they went back to the normal color. Also its feets are all back except 1 white area.
They are blue Swedish.

I feed them chick starter because I was told it was OK. I'm not sure them temperature because I just moved them to a bigger area. It is maybe 3 ft by 4 ft I am no good a measurements. Might be 4ft x 5ft. I put the heat lamp lower because of the one sick one

Age well I'm not sure they came from tsc on Valentine's day.
It didn't have much energy till I washed its bill for it. Um.. its legs are crossed like it stands on its other foot when standing. Its feet was real red but they went back to the normal color. Also its feets are all back except 1 white area.
They are blue Swedish.

Okay now answer the other questions i asked, it will help us help you, also do they have access to water deep enough to wash their faces which is very important with ducks, they can get food clogged in their nares and also in their eyes.have you let them be in water yet? if you can put some warm water up to the tops of their legs in the tub they will love you for it, you just want to make sure they don't chill so you don't leave them in long and you put them straight back under heat lamp when they get out. Not sure about the red on the feet, but making sure their temp in their brooder isn't too warm. they are probably around 3 weeks then, so their brooder temp should be 80ish maybe even a tad lower. also giving them swim time will help to strengthen their legs. and have you been givng them niacin that is very important for strong healthy legs.at 3 weeks they should be able to have water deep enough to swim in just don't leave them unattended ever.

Last edited:
i let them play in the tub once a day. They have a container where they can clean their face. Also I'm very unsure which question you are reffering to

also i wrap them in a towel when they are done playing. They are also in the house.

What temps are in your brooder, over heating can cause health issues, can you get some poultry vitamins? TSC has them add to their water, also like i said niacin can help strengthen their legs if one appears to have problems. Sounds like your doing everything right, maybe some vitamins and niacin and keep temps where they need to be. can you post pics? Sometimes a pic is worth a thousands words. How is it's appetite? is it pooping normal[which is alot with duckling]

I have no pictures right now. I haven't been home very much since I found it sick maybe a hour at a time every 4 hours. I know all the food it usually all gone when I get home and I give them about 2 cups of food. My house is heated it is 76 in my house. It did have the shivers like it was cold so I wrapped it in a towel and held it close to me for a little bit. I will look at the temp when I get home. I just can't understand why just one is sick wouldn't both be sick?

Back
Top Bottom