Sick ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by raemcwi, Dec 12, 2016.

1. raemcwi

raemcwi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    We bought muscovy ducklings for the first time 2 months ago. We have 30 or so ducks of other breeds.

Our muscovy ducklings are still inside as they are not fully feathered and we live in WI.

We have had a few die off over the last few weeks. About one a week. We have about 3 sick right now. They would get lathargic, stop eating, lose control of neck muscles and either die in a few days or just die without symptoms. We added in brewers yeast, niacin, and a bit of sugar water, which helped the current sick ones eat,stop being lethargic and somewhat act normal but they are still really struggling with regaining muscle control in neck. Any ideas?

Muscovies just don't seem to be a hardy breed like our other ducks. We had 2 ducklings that were the same age that were laid on the farm and they are fully feathered and twice as big. Any advice/ideas would be appreciated.

2. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I would ask this in the emergency section. There are great people there. I don't know about ducks so I cannot help. Chicks get wet neck from a vitamin deficiency I wonder if ducks Do? Do they get coccidia?
    :welcome

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I'm really sorry for your losses. :(

What type of bedding are you using? What are you feeding them? Cedar wood chippings release deadly fumes which could be your problem. Maybe try sending one of the dead bodies to a lab/vets for tests- they should be able to confirm the problem.

4. raemcwi

Mar 29, 2016
    We are using hay cut from our fields.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Limber neck sounds like a toxin. Do you spray your hay before cutting? Is their bedding real wet? [which is very normal for ducklings] but if the ammonia builds up they can get brooder pneumonia there is another name for it too but I can't remember right now. Did you check your feed for mold?http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis/

@raemcwi you might try your state agri lab they may do necropsy might even be free.

Very sorry for your losses.

I have had many Muscovy ducklings hatch here and I also have Runners and Buffs can't say the Muscovy's were any less healthy. Of course always a possibility it was started before you got them too.

6. raemcwi

Mar 29, 2016
    The hay is not spread first. We put resh bedding in every day. :)
    We only give them a bowl of feed multiple times a day. They do not have a large container that lasts a couple of days. We change out the bowl every day. Ill definitelysee about sending a duck in if we have anotherdie. Hopefully not. Is this neck issue reversible?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If it's a toxin I know ducks can recover. We also have a flush link I'll get that for you I am not sure how they would get into a toxin unless their feed is moldy which can happen even before you buy it. I hope you don't lose any more either.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213These have to be followed to the T.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is there any rye in that field? Could it have ergot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by