sick ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by frankntine, Apr 2, 2009.

1. frankntine

frankntine New Egg

Apr 2, 2009
    Orange County
    Hi I posted this incorrectly in the new member forum...

We hatched 3 pekin ducklings almost 2 weeks ago. We had trouble keeping the humidity up therefore 2 of them had trouble hatching. They pipped but then struggled for approx. 12 hours when we carefully hatched them. One was able to hatch on her own though.

They all seem to have high respiration rates which appears to be a little labored. They are not panting or weezing though. Also, they are all weak legged, one being really bad.

I gave them some terrymiyacin powder in the water and have been supervising their swimming to see if their legs get stronger...but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Christine - 3 daughters, 4 horses, 5 ducks, 2 parakeets, 9 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit, 4 (adding more soon)chickens, 3 quails, many fish,3 frogs, 1 turtle, 1 golden retriever, and a very understanding husband

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Leg problems can also be a sign of a lack of niacin. Are they on a water fowl feed? If not, add some brewer's yeast to their food.

3. frankntine

frankntine New Egg

Apr 2, 2009
    Orange County
    Thank you I will try the niacin. They are currently on chick starter as we have some chicks and quails.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The niacin should help. I crush up brewer's yeast tablets and sprinkle it on their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by