Sick Ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brandovoigt, Mar 30, 2015.

1. brandovoigt

brandovoigt New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    I have had 2 female ducks die, they had a hard time breathing, their chest heaving in an out, then a few days to few weeks they suffocate to death, please help, another female just got the disease tonight.

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Sounds like possibly asper (aspergillosis), which is a fungal infection in the lungs. What are their living conditions like? Fresh, dry bedding? Do they have any exposure to wet/moldy areas? Asper is pretty much found everywhere in the environment, but birds typically don't succumb to it unless they are already weak from something else, or if kept in wet and moldy conditions.

Could also be some other kind of respiratory disease as well, of course. Hard to know for sure without getting a necropsy done on them. Do you have other ducks? If so, you might want to do a really good clean of their areas and disinfect everything you can.

3. brandovoigt

brandovoigt New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    I should clean out their pen, I will start there, and it's so weird because only females have gotten it. Thanks

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    No problem, wish I could help more! And sorry for your losses. :/

5. brandovoigt

brandovoigt New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    It might have been my compost pile, so i fenced it off. It might be that, what do you guys think?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ideally, you could find a good duck vet.

Aside from that, you can make some guesses. It could be fungal (aspergillus), or bacterial. If it is bacterial, then antibiotic ought to help - but you need to choose the right antibiotic, and that's where a vet can help.

If there is just no way, then one option is to read up and make your best guess on the antibiotic to use, and try it.

Another thing to try is to sprinkle some oregano - maybe a teaspoon per cup of feed - into their food. It is said to be a natural antimicrobial.

Making sure there are no molds in the bedding and the shelter is a good idea, too, and they do need good ventilation.

7. brandovoigt

brandovoigt New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by