Sick Dutch Bantam pullet? UPDATE: NEW ILLNESS PAGE 2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StephensonC, Nov 23, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I don't know her exact age, but she hasn't reached point of lay yet. I noticed a few days ago, that she wasn't eating much if any.The problem is, she tries to eat and drink, but won't extend her neck all the way down, so she can't reach the food and water. She will peck at it, but her beak doesn't quite reach the food. I have to put it in my hand or a small dish and hold it directly under her head so she can reach it. She actually gobbles it up when I do this. Today she is sitting puffed up and has her eyes closed a lot. I've brought her inside and started her with some Rooster Booster in her water. (She does drink it if I hold the dish close to her). I also mixed some warm water with her feed which she seemed to love and ate right much. She has no other symptoms at this point, however I keep waiting for her to poop so I can observe that. I felt for an egg and everything appears to be soft, her crop was empty, she has no swelling in the face or eyes, no mucus, comb is sort of pale. She will walk around some, and did fly up to roost last night. Should I be doing anything else or check anything else while I'm waiting for her to poop? I will post her poop findings asap. Thanks for your help!

Poop is solid and is slightly green. No visible worms. Could the green be due to her not eating much?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    She seems to have perked up some today and she's eating A LOT if I hold the food close to her. She still won't extend her neck out too far and when she pecks at her food, she can't reach it.(Unless I'm holding it up close to her head) Could this be some sort of wry neck problem?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is puzzling, so I think you may be right about wry neck or maybe an injury. Does she look normal when she is up walking around? Could you post a picture or two tomorrow of her standing? Green poop is usually bile coloring the droppings from not eating unless they have eaten a lot of greens. How old is she? Wry neck is a neurological symptom of head injury, vitamin deficiencies (thiamine, Vitamin E and selenium,) and from certain infectious diseases. What Rooster Booster product are you using, as that is just the brand name? There are some skeletal abnormalities that can cause neck problems. Is she standing and walking around on her own, or is she sitting or lying around mostly? Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

4. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    The Rooster Booster says Vitamins & Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus. She does appear to look normal when she is up and walking. The pictures below are from today, however the angles aren't that good. I will try to get some better ones tomorrow. As far as greens, she had a small amount of lettuce a few days ago. I'm not sure how old she is, but she isn't laying yet. I got her 3 weeks ago. She doesn't move around much, but I have observed some movement in the run. When I leave and come back, she is usually in a different place. I put her back in the coop this evening. She tried to fly up to the roost, but was unsuccessful. She is still in quarantine, along with a Bantam Cockerel. They get along fine. I am unsure of the Marek's vaccine, which is what I'm afraid of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is a pretty little thing. The Rooster Booster vitamins are good, and I would give her a little scrambled egg, sunflower seed, tuna or chopped meat for selenium--only takes a little bit.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I just wanted to mention that sitting puffed up, lethargy, and poor appetite are some of the symptoms of coccidiosis. Other symptoms are diarrhea (with or without blood) and ruffled feathers. Corid (amprollium) is used to treat it in the water. I would just watch her, since it sounds more like she wants to eat, but just can't control her neck movements that well.

7. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Thanks and I will definitely give her some of that in the morning. Also, I think I will mount a small feeding trough to the side of the coop, high enough up, so that she can easily access her food. In the meantime, I will watch her and see if it gets any worse and go from there. Maybe it was some sort of injury or strain that will heal soon. I hope so! She is such a sweet girl.

8. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Good Morning! So when I went out and checked her this morning she had managed to get herself from the roosting bar down to the food dish. She wasn't eating, just standing there. I brought her in and fed her what you suggested with rooster booster water mixed in and she ate very well. She seemed to stretch her neck out a little further, but not all the way. She talked to me and what very alert, but as soon as I put her back in the run, she would just stand there sort of puffed up with her beak pointing down and her neck in close to her body. Her wings are droopy also. I took some pics. This is pretty much how she was the entire time I was in there which was probably about 30 minutes. Her poop is still solid and green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    She has made her way back over to the food again, but not eating. Still just standing with her head down and eyes closed mostly.

10. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I let her and the rooster free range a bit today, which they normally don't do. They are usually contained to their coop and covered run. I wanted to see if it would make a difference in her behavior. I was hoping she would try to explore the new territory and be curious to see what was underneath the leaves in the yard. She was not interested at all, even when the rooster would call her over for treats. She did walk around a little, but mostly just sat. I hand fed her again before putting her on the roost for the night, and she ate a good amount. I don't know what else to do at this point, except continue to hand feed her and watch and see if things get worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by