sick/dying chicken

edgy6ellie

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2021
This morning my leghorn is acting very unusually, she's shivering a lot, has her feathers puffed up, won't eat or drink, she's incredibly weak and has a lack of energy, she was sat outside the coup last night and laid an egg at around 6pm when it was dark out. I've already lost 2 chickens in the last few months to the same symptoms, where one day they just seem off and then they pass in their sleep a few days later. All of my hens are rescues, so it's a possibility that being used and abused has affected their health. She's around 2 years old, I've had her since August, and nothing like this has come up before with her. if anyone has any idea what it is or how to prevent it or literally anything that can help it would be greatly appreciated

Do you treat all your rescues for coccidiosis when they come to the farm? New birds usually arent accustomed to the different coccidiosis strains in the soil when theyre rehomed. Blood in poop is a great indicator of coccidiosis, but its not always the case. But being lethargic, puffing up in a ball, feeling light in weight, and closing eyes are great indicators. It could be something else, but I always treat with liquid corid when my birds act this way.

Do you treat all your rescues for coccidiosis when they come to the farm? New birds usually arent accustomed to the different coccidiosis strains in the soil when theyre rehomed. Blood in poop is a great indicator of coccidiosis, but its not always the case. But being lethargic, puffing up in a ball, feeling light in weight, and closing eyes are great indicators. It could be something else, but I always treat with liquid corid when my birds act this way.
I don't, I'm relatively new to chickens so I've never even heard of this, but I'm doing some research on coccidiosis and it looks like it could be what's wrong with her, I'll purchase some liquid corid and hopefully it'll arrive before it's too late

I don't, I'm relatively new to chickens so I've never even heard of this, but I'm doing some research on coccidiosis and it looks like it could be what's wrong with her, I'll purchase some liquid corid and hopefully it'll arrive before it's too late
Do you have a feed/farm store near you? Coccidiosis strikes quickly. Your chickens would be much better served if you could get some, like, right now and treat them all.

I agree if you can call the local feed stores, tractor supply carries it, even a vet office that treats farm animals. Coccidiosis can kill in a matter of days after you notice the symptoms, if shes puffed up and lethargic she doesnt have long from what Ive observed with my chickens over time.

I would seperate her from the rest immediately, treat her with 10mL of corid per gallon, change out everyday or every other day. Since its just her Id use a quart waterer with 2.5mL of corid in it. Treat her for 1 week. The first 3 days I would also oral drench her with 0.1mL of corid per pound of body weight with a small syringe twice a day, a vet office will have these or feed stores carry syringes with 0.1mL increments, just detach the needle from the syringe.

After 1 week decrease her corid to 2.5mL per gallon or I put in 0.75mL per quart.

I would treat the rest of the flock with a moderate dose of corid 5mL per gallon for 1 week then 2.5mL per gallon the 2nd week, change water every day or every other day to keep it fresh. I hope this helps 🤟🤞Make sure all the birds only have access to the corid water, no other water source.

We all run into coccidiosis at some point, if this is indeed coccidiosis. You'll be aware of the signs for the future 🤟

Last edited:
Do you have a feed/farm store near you? Coccidiosis strikes quickly. Your chickens would be much better served if you could get some, like, right now and treat them all.
I do, however my mum did some research and discovered that ex-batts are vaccinated against coccidiosis in the uk, so she doesn't want to pay out for something that's unlikely, I'm only 15 so I don't have a way to pay for it myself, unfortunately if it is coccidiosis then I don't think there's a lot I can do for her other than try a few home remedies.

I agree if you can call the local feed stores, tractor supply carries it, even a vet office that treats farm animals. Coccidiosis can kill in a matter of days after you notice the symptoms, if shes puffed up and lethargic she doesnt have long from what Ive observed with my chickens over time.

I would seperate her from the rest immediately, treat her with 10mL of corid per gallon, change out everyday or every other day. Since its just her Id use a quart waterer with 2.5mL of corid in it. Treat her for 1 week. The first 3 days I would also oral drench her with 0.1mL of corid per pound of body weight with a small syringe twice a day, a vet office will have these or feed stores carry syringes with 0.1mL increments, just detach the needle from the syringe.

After 1 week decrease her corid to 2.5mL per gallon or I put in 0.75mL per quart.

I would treat the rest of the flock with a moderate dose of corid 5mL per gallon for 1 week then 2.5mL per gallon the 2nd week, change water every day or every other day to keep it fresh. I hope this helps 🤟🤞Make sure all the birds only have access to the corid water, no other water source.

We all run into coccidiosis at some point, if this is indeed coccidiosis. You'll be aware of the signs for the future 🤟
Thanks a lot! I'll definitely use this for when I can get some corid

Back
Top Bottom