Sick/Dying Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tds99100, Aug 1, 2014.

1. tds99100

tds99100 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    South Carolina
    I'm in need of some help. My flock began with 6 sex link hens which are now about 5 months old, and we added 4 Rhode Island Red hens which are about 3 months old. Two of the Rhode Island Reds died when they were about 1 month old, and another died when it was about 2 months old. Two of the three acted lethargic the day prior to their death (i.e. not wanting to walk around and not seeming overly interested in eating or drinking). 1 of the sex link hens died when it was 5 months old, and was acting very similar. It would just sit on the ground, and I even watched the other sex links stepping on it. I haven't changed their food, they get fresh water daily, and I haven't noticed any other symptoms of illness. This seems to come on fast, and they are typically dead the next day in spite of my efforts to more closely attend to them. This is my first time raising chickens, and I am at a loss for what's going on. Can anyone give me some advice/ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Have you looked at their poo? Also have you ever treated for cocci or wormed?

3. ryryanan

ryryanan Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    I to am having an issue with some hens dieing ..although not as fast as yours and I'm am sorry for your loss its tragic! I lost one of my white leghorns a few weeks ago pale face and comb that started to turn purple on the back end of it thought sour crop ...large soft crop feels like filled with liquid and now another one is showing the same signs so I gave the entire flock a Epsom salt/water dose I don't really know whats going on or what is causing this and as of now it seems to only be effecting the leghorns.

4. tds99100

tds99100 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    South Carolina
    Their poo looks normal, but I haven't wormed them or treated them for anything. I wasn't aware I needed to (guess I didn't do quite enough research). How do I go about taking these steps?

5. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Some people don't and don't seem to have a problem. But I'm wondering in this case if it might not be a bad idea since you're losing chickens. For worming you could use safeguard for goats. I know theres other kinds I'll try to find some threads. For cocci you would use corid in the water for 5-10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: