Sick/dying chicks...what to give drug store wise...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhitWhit, Mar 24, 2013.

1. WhitWhit

WhitWhit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2012
    I've got some chicks from a feed store that I bought in like 3 different lots. These chicks are from Mt Healthy. They all were robust and healthy when I got them but they take turns getting sick and dying. I didn't have this problem last year when I bought my first chicks. They were all healthy and stayed healthy and continue to thrive now with exception of some predator incidents. Is there a human type med/vitamin I can get from CVS to put in water or administer to chicks. I live in coastal town that is not agricultural in any way except with seafood. The nearest Farm Supply stores are two hours away. Thanks for any replies.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    About the only thing drug stores carry is Pedialyte, an electrolyte liquid, or Colace, stool softener caps for crop bound birds. neither of those will do much for your situation it seems. Process of elimination for problems:
    1. How old are the chicks?
    2. How are you providing heat and what temperature are you maintaining?
    3. What are you feeding them, medicated or non-medicated starter?
    4. What supplements are you using in the water, if any?
    5. What physical signs are seen before death?

3. WhitWhit

Sep 23, 2012
    The 3 wk to a week old chicks are now thriving and doing fine. It's the 2-3 week old chicks of which one has gotten sick and died. . One of the three week old chicki have died the same way. They would begin by chirping nonstop very loudly, standing in a stove up position, and becoming lethargic soon after and of course refusing to eat or drink. One of the 21/2 weeks old chicks seems to be getting sick in the same way. I use a heat lamp with the big red bulb in their brooder...don't know exactly how warm. I have put electrolytes in water once. I have been feeding medicated starter.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Are they looking up is that what you mean by stove up? Sounds like the star gazer thing where it's a vitamin deficiency. You should get some Sav A Chick packets. Most pet stores that include some chicken supplies will have it. In a pinch Poly Vi Sol baby vitamin drops(with no IRON).

I seem to recollect reading about chicks chirping loudly and then later dying. But if the head rolls back and / or is looking up, start with Sav A Chick. It wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure but I'm thinking some type of yeast problem in the digestion for the loud chirping and sudden weakness. Not sure. You'll have to search here. Are the abdomens of the chirpers bigger than the others?

Sorry I'm just sort of feeling my way here.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  5. WhitWhit

Sep 23, 2012
    The sick chicks do look upwards somewhat when chirping...as th one currently sick does but I notice that she doesn't constantly chirp loudly as the ones who did did. By stove up I mean that she stands like she is sore all over and her head nd neck seem to be pulled into her body closely and just standing.I can tell she is slightly weak on he legs when she walks as if a little off balance. One or two of the chicks have diahrea that I notice this morning as I have just awakened for the workday but only the one seems weak to me. She is really tame and seems to look to me for help...though Ithink I am magining this. I did use poly-vi-sol on one chick last spring that did get wry neck and it took awhile and she is alive and well today.

Any meds that I get just for chickens will have to be ordered and will take a few days or so to come in....no livestock type stors anywhere near and the drive will be too far after work to make it before stores close. Drugstore is best option for immediate help. Thanks a whole lot for responding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by