Sick ex batt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindadunn, Aug 14, 2011.

1. lindadunn

lindadunn New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Hi
    I have a hen with laboured breathing, floppy comb, poop has been very white and chalky and is now very runny. She is moving slower than everyone else and this morning seems to be very uncomfortable with herself, standing still with eyes shut. She is eating but not with the gusto of the others. Any thoughts would be welcome.

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    laboured breathing makes me think respitory disease.look up tylan 50 you could try that

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    How long have you had her? Has she laid an egg recently? How does her crop feel? Sorry, it could be many things and just trying to narrow it down.

4. This just happens when an unlicky chicken gets an eye scratched while doing chicken stuff. That gets infected and can lead to respiratory illness. There's a good chance of survival though. Just let her be, but separate her from any eggs shes on so the poop doesnt contaminate the eggs. Ive had this happen to multiple chickens. I have tried irrigating the eyes with saline solution but it just seems to be ineffective and possibly make it worse. While i do think this is contagious, its just like the common cold but for birds. Isolate her to stop the spread and in a few weeks she'll be back to her old self.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by