Sick Eye and feathers/ skin with pics

motorboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
River Falls, WI
My feather-footed pullet that should be laying any day now is not looking too hot. She has a patch of missing feathers on her back and her wingpits. The skin doesn’t look too good of her back, it’s vey red. Also, one of her eyes is very crusty. She has been this way for a week now. I tried to look for mites or something, but didn’t see any. I only have one other bird (a light Brahmas) and she is fine, I did see her peck the other birds bald spot once, but she is not the type to pick on anyone, also I saw the balding one pick on the spot herself once too. She has energy, but sleeps a little more than usual and eats good.

What is wrong with her eye?
Could it be molting, I don’t know what that looks like, is the skin supposed to be gross?
Can I treat the affected skin with anything?

13806_back_1.jpg

13806_back_2.jpg

the pic below shows a bald spot under her wing and on her back
13806_under_wing_and_back.jpg

13806_eye_1.jpg

13806_eye_2.jpg

Someone else just went through exactly this series of symptoms. I don't remember who right now, but I'll start searching.
Here it is.

Last edited:
I had a chicken with that same EXACT spot and its eyes wouldnt stay open.
I found her dead this morning.
They dont have the black things like the other thread posters did though. Could it still be the same thing?
Ive got 2 other birds like this but my rooster and barred rock pullets are fine and dandy.

IDK what to do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom