sick flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poultry bro, Feb 19, 2016.

1. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    Hey there I have a huge problem that im really scared about i have 31 birds in a pen 3 pigeons and the rest are chickens 13 of them are broilers and the rest egg layers and 2 roosters the problem is that the broilers have this thing where they sound like they are gurgling water all the time i noticed it about a week ago but now im so worried because my modern game rooster that is in that pen has a swollen face and bubbles are coming out of his eye he also has this respritory problem the hens in there are starting it to i am frantic and so worried the broilers are the worst but butchering day is coming up for them anyway but the other birds have me sooo worried i cant separate them to another pen because my large producing flock is super healthy and im soooo worried that they will catch it too help me please

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds as though you have a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza going through your flock. Have you noticed a bad odor? To control the spread, you will need to separate the sick ones from the ones not showing symptoms. Your others could already be exposed, but they should all be considered carriers. Most birds can survive with antibiotics such as Tylan or oxytetracycline from a feed store, but they will be carriers for life, and can get sick again later. I would only medicate birds showing symptoms.You may want to contact your state vet or local extension agent to get one tested or send one in to the state vet for a necropsy to find out what you are dealing with. Sorry about the illness.

3. poultry bro

Oct 4, 2014
    Yes i know i have mg and i just bought tylan the other day i will be giving doses soon to the infected birds showing symtoms because almost all 160 of my birds are exposed so its a lot to lose

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan dosage is 1tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Tylan 50 injectable dosage is 1 cc or ml twice a day for 3-5 days for a 5 pound bird, or 1/2 cc for less than pounds, and 1/4 cc for a bantam. Tylan injectsble is meant for intramuscular dosing but can also be given orally.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  5. Woobsie

Woobsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely sounds like MG. You need injectable Tylan 50 or TYlan 200. You need to inject all affected birds pronto using subcutaneous injection (just under the skin near the folds around the wing or leg and breast, do not do intramuscular! ) it's a lot easier than it sounds. You will see improvement within 24 hours. Typically I give 1 injection in the morning and 1 in the evening and the next day you should see improvements. I would only inject them until they start getting better, sometimes only 1 or 2 shots is needed but sometimes up to 4 days.
    Soluble tylan is good to use after they show signs of improvement but will not treat very sick birds fast enough so you need at least 2 injections in a bird to really attack it. I find tylan 200 at 0.2 cc subcutaneous 1 - 2x a day for 2 days is basically a miracle cure.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. Woobsie

I have a lot of experience with MG unfortunately and if you can get this under control there is hope. I use Denegard now at a 1% solution in the drinking water for 2 days every 4 weeks and I haven't had an outbreak since. If I have a hen that shows a single sign of sneeze gurgle I isolate her and inject her right away and often 1 injection is enough to stop the symptoms. Keep the bird isolated until better and start using Denagard and you can manage this terrible disease.

7. Woobsie

Sorry I should add, before using Denagard I would isolate and treat the sick birds with Tylan right away but for 6 months now I have used Denagard as a preventative and not a single sign of illness. Denegard wasn't useful to me for treating sick birds, Tylan is a miracle drug for that. Don't waste your time with other drugs with MG ...it's imperative to treat right away with the right one, I've tried most of them and lost my favorite roo to being uninformed

8. poultry bro

Oct 4, 2014
    I have tylan 200 and i plan to give 1cc orally to birds showing symtoms

9. Woobsie

The normal dose is 1cc for Tylan 50. With Tylan 200 I only give .2cc 2x a day for the first day then around 0.25 cc a day for a couple more days.
    I brought a sick bird to the animal sciences division of our agricultural Universiry here (University of Guelph) and was lucky enough to get a poultry vet who said in absolutely NO cases should you administer Tylan 50 or 200 orally as it will burn the esophagus. They actually offer tylosin in capsules to give orally however the subcutaneous injection is 100x easier to administer and works better in my opinion. Honestly if you gave them all 0.25 cc 1x a day injection just for 2 days you will get much better results and faster without the side effects. In my experience anyway

10. Breakofday316

Breakofday316 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2016
    Can you give tylan to a 7 week old chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by