Sick flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Erika Six, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Erika Six

Erika Six In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I have 14 chicks around 6 weeks old. They started with runny noses and sneezing now they have bloody stools. I'm curious if it is possible for a respiratory infection to cause bloody stools or did coccidiosis cause the respiratory issues. All chicks are now receiving tylan 50 injections and corid to hopefully fix the problem. Amy advice would be great. I have lost 2 chicks since yesterday. Just to clarify runny nose started Sunday bloody stools started Monday night. Thanks in advance. It is Wednesday today.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like they may have 2 different illness— possible coccidiosis and a respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis, MG or others. I would recommend giving the Tylan 50 by mouth 1/2 ml 2-3 times a day for 5 days. If your feed does not contain probiotics, give them a tsp of plain yogurt each in some wet feed every day. TSC and some feed stores also sell probiotic powder packets for animals.

Coccidiosis is treated with Corid from your feed store. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. Make sure they drink the water, and change it daily.

Erika Six likes this.
  3. Erika Six

Erika Six In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Using tylan 50 but injecting 1/4 cc once daily just started yesterday. Today started corid 1 teaspoon per gallon. I will get some plain yogurt. I have probiotic powder but didn't think I should add it to water due to corid already in it. Went out I second ago and there was another dead chick. I just want to keep anymore from dying.

4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    You need to up your Corid dose, if you don't get enough in them it won't be effective.
    As stated above powder corid correct dose is 1.5 tsp per gallon, liquid corid correct dose is 2 tsp per gallon. If they are too sick to drink on their own you can give them a drench IN ADDITION to the treatment in the water, instructions and dose are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Eggcessive likes this.
  5. Erika Six

Erika Six In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thanks I will up the dose.

6. Erika Six

Erika Six In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Should the oral drench be put down the back of throat or just in mouth?

7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Just drip in the front of the beak and let them swallow, a drop or two at a time. I just drip it into the tip of the bottom beak. Squirting it in the back risks aspiration and pneumonia, which would not be good.

Erika Six likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: