1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I have a flock of 25 chickens. Different ages ranging from 6 weeks old to 2.5 yr old. Mostly hens. When I am in the yard I hear lots of sneezing, snorting and there has been a BIG drop off in eggs. Out of 8 layers I am getting 1 or maybe 2 a day. I have 2 others that are with eggs or chicks. Last year I have a round of CDR with some of the hens and thought that they would not get sick anymore. Do you think that the heat has brought it back???? I am going to start them on Lincomycin-Spectinomycin again like I did last year. If it is the heat I would guess it will happen every year????

THey have lots of shade and a automatic waterer and I spray their "bath" area with water mid day. I just want my chickens to be better.

2. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    any ideas???????

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    If they are still eating and otherwise feeling ok, it sounds like mycoplasma, which will affect them anytime they are under stress. The best thing I've found for treating is Denagard (a swine pneumonia treatment) given at 15 ml. per gallon in their water when they are showing symptoms.

4. Sunflower01

Sunflower01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Westminster, Maryland
    CRD is just that. Chronic Respitory Disease. It does not go away. When your flock is under stress of any kind it can resurface again and again. Treating with antibiotics can reduce the symptoms but the flock will always be infected. If it is bacterial your flock can be carriers for life and any new birds brought in can and will catch it. Any birds you give away or sell will spread to other flocks. Many back yard flocks have CRD and other bacterial respitory diseases. They can get it from wild birds. Best resolution is to call your local extension office and get your birds tested. We did just that and the Dept. of agriculture came out and tested them and it did not cost us anything. We found that our flock has a contagious bacterial infection. They will always have it and any chicks hatched will be carriers as well. We have closed our flock and breed from within. Our flock got this from a hen we purchase from a livestock auction. We loved going there and buying birds and selling ours. We no longer buy birds or sell birds from the auction for that reason. Many people who own birds just assume they have a cold and sell them. Not fully understanding the consequences of their actions. many sick birds. Many birds don't pull through and die. Treating the birds can last for up to two weeks or more and then a few months later they come down with it again. It's very stressful not just on the birds but on you too. Bio security is a must when you have sick birds. We decided not to cull our flock, as they were pets as well as egg layers. I wish you the best of luck. We love our girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by