Sick from diatomaceous earth.. need advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sara1226, Sep 24, 2016.

1. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have used a little (food grade of course) DE before, but recently I bought a different brand that was super fine and I used too much. I realized the coop was very dusty.. But I was too late. Changed everything out as fast as I could, but I now have a raspy wheezing hen. My favorite chicken who means so much to our family.

Has anyone else had something like this happen!? I gave her some VetRX, probiotics, and multi vitamins. What else can I do? Please help!!!

-Sara

2. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH
    I've never had an experience like this but I've read their lungs are very sensitive. I would say if possible shop vac the coop out to make sure as much dust as possible is gone. Then I would say fresh air and time. Keep an eye or ear out for fluid in the lungs. That would be worse for her and harder to treat. Hopefully others will respond and tell you better what to do. Good luck and keep updating the thread.

3. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Is there anything else I can give her though?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Cany you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Folly's place , any suggestions?

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  6. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH

It sounds like you are doing fine. You could add antibiotics but I personally would hold off. That's my opinion. I wouldn't want to give my bird something it doesn't need then later when it really counts it's not as affective. Again hopefully others will chime in. I'm no expert.

7. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Ok thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.

8. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    DE is TERRIBLE stuff!, and is extreamly dangerous for birds and people's resperatory tracts!, it is soo upsetting that this false info on how it's beneficial ect can end up causing heartship like this...it does apsolutley NOTHING to treat mites and lice and acts like a poison when inhaled buy anyone because of its razor like microscopic particles that literally cut the lung tissue!!. I really hope that this isint what's wrong with your girl but honestly I whould take her to the vet so they can have a listen and she how her lungs are functioning, hopefully she recuperates and dosent sustain permanent damage. I caint stress enough just how dangerous and useless this stuff is and just wish people whould realise this too and stop using it...

9. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin

Indeed... No need to preach to the choir.

I had used it many times in the past with no problems. I had been buying a coarse version of it that was less dusty. This last DE was different. It was labeled as "super fine" and was more dusty. I should have had better judgement and not used it at all. I do feel guilty enough, i don't need any comments to make me feel worse. We all make mistakes. I won't be using it anymore, but when mites and lice happen something needs to be done. I will use the garden and poultry product instead next time.

Thankfully, what I'm doing now is working well and she seems better today.
    Thank you to all who took time to share advice, have a good rest of your weekend.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

In the future, probably best to use a permethrin spray and/or dust instead of DE.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by