1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick from environment or ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenifern, Jan 19, 2014.

1. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    I'm hoping this is the right place to post and ask this.

Ok so if a chick shows signs of sickness at day 2-3 after hatching (in this case a crusty closed eye, seems off balance). Most of the other hatchlings are fine. 3 are not and one died. Do you feel that it came from something in the environment after hatching or was it likely something that came with the hatching egg? I don't have these chicks but am trying to help a friend through this situation.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would think that it could be either thing--from the egg, or from the environment. If the eggs are dirty (due to improper handling, dirty incubator, etc.), that can certainly bring infection and cause disease. But if a chick hatches into a less-than-sanitary environment, it could come into contact with a virus/bacteria from nearby sick birds, etc. just as easily. I would recommend that, if your friend tries incubating again, that she/he thoroughly cleans and disinfects the brooder with a bleach solution or Oxine, and perhaps cleans the eggs, too. Sick birds should not be kept near the incubator or brooder, either.

3. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    Ok thanks.
    The hatching eggs were quite clean, not washed but not poopy. She is just worried that if it's something really catchy that it probably was from the person who gave her the hatching eggs and nothing they could have caught after hatching...? I'm just curious as to what is more likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by