Sick Gal, Yeast Infection- Bad Breath- Candidiasis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laughingull, Dec 12, 2010.

1. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    I am about done with my three new chickens which have been nothing but sick [​IMG] Now our dear Tiggy who is on her 4th day on Vibramycin (for an endlessly runny nose) has a nasty white yeast infection(?) (white spots along the glottis and down the throat) and breath that would peal the wallpaper (if we had any in the coop). What do we do- please not another trip to the very pricy vet!!!!?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I would guess coryza as well.

4. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Thank you both so much for your help! Really appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts and the great link. That may be what it is- happily she seems quite a bit better today and her breath is smelling better as well- maybe the antibiotics are finally kicking in. Whew, we are really ready to have a few healthy hen moments with our new flock.

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Understand if it is/was coryza then you now have it. It doesn't just go away. Granted, there will be times when you don't see it: usually for months, but as soon as the weather turns wet and cool (fall and spring) then it will reappear.

Mortality is usually low. Death usually comes to birds that show no signs of the disease at all. Often it will swell one side of the head and one eye. Many that recover will be blind in that eye and their production may fall. Once the birds are exposed they are carriers. It's a nasty disease that will rear its ugly head when you least expect, but it is usually during or following a rain.

6. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    You might put a little apple cider vinegar in their water to help stabilize the acid in their crops after antibiotics as well as fat free plain yogurt. Mine like the yogurt with Cheerios but if they need a bit of a boost, I'll scramble an egg and mix it with that.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by