Sick Gander

LadyHayleyHalo1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Arizona mountains
Hi everyone......been awhile since my last post. I have a Gander that just turned 16 yrs old this month, I've had him since he was 7 days old. He has not been molting...he bathes, grooms and oils up, but no molt. Also his left leg , foot, toes and pads are swollen, very warm to the touch. Slight limping when he does walk. I have checked the top of his foot....no discoloration.....I have also checked the bottom......again no discoloration......no core as with bumble foot. I don't see any red marks where he could of been bitten, stung or struck by something, as I live in the high desert, low mountains of Arizona it still stays very cool at night. I just can't figure out what could be wrong with him. He eats and drinks. One of my other ganders (Hebron) has become HaleBops keeper.....he makes sure Sam and Sara stay away from him. Could he have a hairline fracture and still be able to walk with only a slight limp. I don't have the money to take him to the vet. Could someone please offer some insight into this....Thank you.

Hi everyone......been awhile since my last post. I have a Gander that just turned 16 yrs old this month, I've had him since he was 7 days old. He has not been molting...he bathes, grooms and oils up, but no molt. Also his left leg , foot, toes and pads are swollen, very warm to the touch. Slight limping when he does walk. I have checked the top of his foot....no discoloration.....I have also checked the bottom......again no discoloration......no core as with bumble foot. I don't see any red marks where he could of been bitten, stung or struck by something, as I live in the high desert, low mountains of Arizona it still stays very cool at night. I just can't figure out what could be wrong with him. He eats and drinks. One of my other ganders (Hebron) has become HaleBops keeper.....he makes sure Sam and Sara stay away from him. Could he have a hairline fracture and still be able to walk with only a slight limp. I don't have the money to take him to the vet. Could someone please offer some insight into this....Thank you.
Wonder if it could be gout? maybe a hairline fracture too only guesses though and understand completely not in a position to take him to a vet.

With a fracture I'd say rest and water therapy soaks in Epsom salt and nice warm water may help too with swelling just don't let him drink the water ES is also a laxative. Metacam can be given for pain and inflammation but has to be gotten from a vet.
Here is so info on gout. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2497

Thank you for your reply. I checked out the gout site, I don't think it's that. Yesterday on the chance that he does have something in his pad and it has sealed over....I put drawing salve on a big bandaid and covered his pad. When I went out this a.m. to remove the bandaid to soak his foot and leg, the swelling on his leg has appeeared to have gone down slightly. He's been resting alot.I used to work for a vet e few years back, he lives near me but I can't get ahold of him right now, he has a 1,000 acer cattle ranch.....and it's round up and branding time. I can't get ahold of him till next . So I'll keep him as comfy as I can till then. He'll even come here to see him. Again thank you.

Thank you for your reply. I checked out the gout site, I don't think it's that. Yesterday on the chance that he does have something in his pad and it has sealed over....I put drawing salve on a big bandaid and covered his pad. When I went out this a.m. to remove the bandaid to soak his foot and leg, the swelling on his leg has appeeared to have gone down slightly. He's been resting alot.I used to work for a vet e few years back, he lives near me but I can't get ahold of him right now, he has a 1,000 acer cattle ranch.....and it's round up and branding time. I can't get ahold of him till next . So I'll keep him as comfy as I can till then. He'll even come here to see him. Again thank you.
I glad you have a vet who will look at the foot. Hopefully the drawing salve will bring what ever it is if there is something in there up to the surface. Please keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom