Sick geese?? - gape worm - something else

pips&peeps

There is no "I" in Ameraucana
Jan 18, 2008
Newman Lake, WA
If anyone has experienced a problem like mine, please let me know.

One of my juvenile ganders seemed sick yesterday. I started watching him and he had ruffled feathers, was letharginc and started shaking his head. When he did this some clear fluid came out of his mouth so I immediately removed him from the flock.

When I picked him up alot more fluid came out of his mouth. His eyes are bright, his nares are clean. I put him in my horse stall. He has not eaten or drank since I put him in there last night. His poo was watery last night and this morning it is mostly that white stuff.

He is still shaking his head this morning and I noticed a couple of my other birds doing the same thing.

It was suggested to me to treat for gapeworm by a very prominant waterfowl breeder, so I am going out to do it now. But, I wanted to know if anyone else has seem these same symptoms.

Thanks,

Poor thing! He seems to be going down fast...
th.gif
You're doing everything right so far...i think... GET HIM HYDRATED! and fed if you can. Syringe, maybe? Electrolytes if nothing else. I'm hoping the goose gurus will chime in on this one. Good luck!
hugs.gif

Quote:
That is uncalled for. Maybe no one has had this issue.

On to the subject at hand.
I know you checked for an esophogal blockage per our PM comversations.
It may be time to get a fecal done and maybe if more fluid comes up, bag it and take it to a vet to run tests. Even if a vet doesn't see fowl, they should be able to run basic tests.

I wormed him that night per recommendation of David Holderread. David was perplexed at the drainage coming from his mouth, but we decided to treat for gape as he was shaking his head and was lethargic.

He was in the horse stall for two days and just nibbled at his food. I didn't see any wormies in his little bit of poo.... I will worm the rest of the flock this weekend.

I decided to let him out tonight as he was not shaking his head anymore and I just didn't want him to waste away without his litter mates. He seems just a little off still.

I let the flock out in the yard tonight and I got an idea of what might have happened.

I throw out my chick droppings and wasted food over the fence in the pasture and the geese sometimes sneek out there. He may have eaten a little bit of bad food......

I blocked the entrance to the pasture so they cannot get out there anymore and will continue to monitor them.

If anyone else looks sick, I will follow the directions for botulism treatment with molasses.

Thanks for your help TL.

Back
Top Bottom