Sick girl - any ideas?

jennyacid

Chirping
9 Years
May 23, 2014
I have four backyard hens. They are around 5 months old. All but one lays just about daily. My first and most consistent layer hasn't laid since Sunday. Since then, she has stayed in the run when I let the others free range and often seems tired.

My first guess was that she was egg bound. We injected her with some lubricant. Still no egg. She began to have some blood in her stool off and on.

I felt inside her cloaca tonight as far as I could while pressing her abdomen to feel for an egg and I felt none. What could be going on with my girl? Her comb and wattle are a nice red. What am I missing?

If it helps to know, we feed Nutrena Layer crumbles with occasional garden treats. The girls have not been wormed. I also haven't checked her crop. I was sort of confused upon examining her and came in to research further. Her temperature seems normal. I have seen her both eat and drink over the past few days, but I'm not sure if it is the same amount as usual. She isn't just lying around. She just sort of keeps to herself and occasionally lies on the ground or hops on the roosting bar during the day. All of which is quite unusual for her.

I would get some Corid or amprollium from the feed store cattle section, and treat her for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. She seems to have many of the symptoms for cocci. After the treatment, I would give her vitamins and probiotics for several days. It may be best to treat all of the chickens at once. Cecal worms can also cause blood in the stool, but I would first treat for cocci.

I have FINALLY discovered the issue! A day or so after this post, she began acting normally again. Her beak was cracked. It has been repaired. Apparently, the blood in her stool was from the lubricant and exam. I gave all of my girls antibiotics, Apple cider vinegar, and put some garlic powder in their feed, however, after a couple of weeks, she still isn't laying. Her poop is dry, as well. Could that be because she hasn't been able to get enough water with a damaged beak?

If you add water to her feed making a watery gruel she may be able to get more water in her feed. Just make sure to make this fresh a couple of times a day so it doesn't spoil.

Back
Top Bottom