Sick Girl

redidbull

Hatching
Jun 17, 2019
Southwest Connecticut
One of our hens is sick and I am wondering what to do. Last week there were flies around her and I took here and cleaned out a wound that had maggots. I cleaned if completely and put on wound spray. She is barely moving. I have posted a picture of what the would looks like. A few weeks ago we lost another. She was not moving, couldn't stand. We took her to the vet and he gave her a shot and was confident she was going to be OK but it wasn't the case. We had her put down. Vet said it was not marek disease. Any ideas looking at the picture? Thanks. Jim

Attachments

• 20190617_110608.jpg
    20190617_110608.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 6
Hens that get flystrike on wounds or poopy vents, usually require several soapy or Epsom salts baths over a few days, just to get all of the maggots out, and for the new maggot larvae to hatch. It is hard to treat. Your hen may have had them inside her body, and is septic. But she may have some underlying condition, such as a reproductive problem or ascites which has made her lower belly appear swollen and prominent. Where the flies have attacked her under her vent, is a common spot for other chickens to peck and injure them in overcrowded conditions, and with other problems, such as too little protein in the diet, or aggressive breeds. Sorry for your loss. Whenever you lose a chicken, your state vet can do a necropsy to look for a cause of death.

Thank you for the help. She doesn't seem to be doing very well and I fear we will be putting her down. We only had 6 that we took from our neighbor when they moved and took good care of them and feel bad that things like this happen. Feel like we should have been on top of this. When my neighbors got them they were already adults so I don't know how old they are but don't think they are more than 4 or 5. I really thought they would last longer. Jim

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like she lived about twice as long as an average chicken, though. If it's any comfort to you she did live a long happy life.

Back
Top Bottom