Ashtoncreechbvh

Hatching
Jan 30, 2022
I got 5 chickens from the flock swap a month ago 4 Isa brown and one rir. Everyone has been fine although we are experiencing cold weather right now. I noticed she would be hunched up and thought to myself I need to get her and isolate but when I would get out to the chicken yard all seemed fine and I couldn't tell which one needed to be isolated so I put it off as she was just cold and went on about my business. Three days ago I got hime late for work and went out to do a head count in the dark and noticed on of the Isa browns outside of the coop bedded on the ground I picked her up and proceeded to put her in the coop on the roost but noticed she had lost the use of one of her legs. I palates her leg and no fractures otherwise no other signs of injury, no puncture wounds bloody marks or anything. Brought her into my bathroom. She is eating and drinking otherwise fine and was going to get antibiotics from tsc the next day. That next day she was still not able to use leg still eating and drinking so I gave her another day because my tsc was out of antibiotics and I had no other choice. By the 3rd day her eyes were gooped and nasty, finally got oxytetracycline and started that at 1cc IM (breast) once daily as well as warm compresses to clean eyes and applying terramycin to both. I have been bathing her to keep the poo off her skin/vent. As of day 4 she can't use either leg but eyes are clear and she is still eating and drinking srill isolated and still getting bathed daily at least twice. So my question is am I treating her the right way because now I'm second guessing myself and thinking that I should be treating for coccidiosis instead of treating for some other underlined infection such as URI etc. HELP!

How old is she? It could possibly be Mareks disease if she was nit vaccinated. Are her legs too weak to stand, or has she been limping, and now can’t stand? Coccidiosis can make them weak, hunched, not eat, and have runny poops, but it doesn’t make them lame. Could she have been injured by a rooster? Since she has some respiratory symptoms as well, I would be tempted to cull her and get a necropsy on body tomorrow through your state vet. Keep it cold, but not frozen, if you plan to do that. If you decide to keep treating her, Corid is fine to use, and won’t hurt her. Tylosin or Tylan, and oxytetracycline are good to use against respiratory diseases such as MG. The oxytetracycline is good, and you can give the shots once every 3 days or use it orally. I can give dosages. Unfortunately when getting started chickens from others, there is always a chance of buying sick birds, and they can infect others. Here is a list of state vets who can do necropsies:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

How old is she? It could possibly be Mareks disease if she was nit vaccinated. Are her legs too weak to stand, or has she been limping, and now can’t stand? Coccidiosis can make them weak, hunched, not eat, and have runny poops, but it doesn’t make them lame. Could she have been injured by a rooster? Since she has some respiratory symptoms as well, I would be tempted to cull her and get a necropsy on body tomorrow through your state vet. Keep it cold, but not frozen, if you plan to do that. If you decide to keep treating her, Corid is fine to use, and won’t hurt her. Tylosin or Tylan, and oxytetracycline are good to use against respiratory diseases such as MG. The oxytetracycline is good, and you can give the shots once every 3 days or use it orally. I can give dosages. Unfortunately when getting started chickens from others, there is always a chance of buying sick birds, and they can infect others. Here is a list of state vets who can do necropsies:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I am not sure of age to be honest I'm thinking she is around a year. All others that came with her are laying well. She was not injured that I know of I have a rooster but he is a very gentle guy. I really don't want to have to cull her if I can help it I know that sounds bad and life goes on I just don't like to. I don't really care if my chickens lay or not I just have them as pets eggs are a definite perk to that but even if they don't lay I don't want to kill them. Her stool is normal no weird abdominal palpation and she is eating. She has had 2 doses of oxytetracycline 1cc IM and her respiratory symptoms have improved no gunky eyes and she hasn't had a runny nose or sneezing. Just limb paralysis. I was going to try corrid but didn't know if I could give it with the oxytetricycline. I also do have tylan. If you will point me in the right direction I will try my best for her for a week and if no improvement I will eventually have to cull her. I just want to give her a fighting chance. Thank you for any and all advice.

Pictures of how your hen is lying might be helpful. What Tylan do you have, the Tylan 50 or 200? If her respiratory symptoms have improved on the oxytetracycline, you may be fine to just use that. If her droppings are not runny or have blood in them, she probably does not have coccidiosis. Corid can be given at the same time as oxytetracycline though.

You sound like a very kind person to your birds. I can identify with you, since my chickens live here until they die. I normally don’t recommend culling, but since Mareks is contagious, and could affect your other birds, I just wanted to mention it. When we cull a bird and send the body to the state vet for a necropsy, they usually can diagnose what all may be going on.

A chicken sling chair might be something you would want to make to get her up, keep her clean, and in front of food and water. Here are some examples and in post 11, it shows the main design:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Here is some reading about Mareks disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom