sick girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robmntman, Nov 5, 2010.

1. robmntman

robmntman New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] Hello, need some advice please; went out yesterday morning to let our flock out to free range and one of the girls (8 mos. old) was just laying on the ground and not moving. she would raise her head when I talked to her but she can't seem to stand. Upon closer checking her abdomen seems to be swollen and she has a mustard yellow mess around her vent.... what could be wrong with her and what should I do? Thank you !!!!

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:First off [​IMG] you can Open the vent up and see if there is any blockage. If there is remove it with a toothpick. I hate to tell you to medicate with only this short of a picture to go off of.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. robmntman

robmntman New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    Thank you for your advice, found no blockage, and no it did not look to be egg yolk..

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She still could have an egg problem. Leaking yolk won't look just like a yolk you would eat. Believe I'd soak her in a warm bath then read some eggbound or internal layer threads (FAQ page, under index.) Or if you're sure it's some kind of poop, perhaps the poop page will help: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Good luck to you both.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I hope she gets better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by