1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. deeschicks19

deeschicks19 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    I have a girl with sour crop. So far we have rubbed her crop which then she threw up at least 3 times. Her crop still felt like a balloon with water it. But not as big. But she still wasn't doing better. Then used a dropper with oil and put it in her throat the way I read about it. And tried some boiled rice too. That she didn't eat. We have her secluded from the others. I don't think she's doing worse by no means but just wish I knew if she was going to be ok. Dummy me thought that if you gave them oyster shells they didn't need the grit so I had not been giving it to them for at least two months. Once I found out I was wrong I started again about a week ago. I am so new at this just never know what is the right thing or wrong thing.

2. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Is she going to the bathroom at all? I like to keep sick ones on paper towels so I can monitor output. With crop issues I find that as soon as you start to see food actually passing through, they are beginning to improve. I feel like sour crop starts out as an impaction and they keep drinking & drinking to try to help it pass. The longer the stuff staying the the crop, the more likely it will "sour" and start to pretty much rot in there. Keep doing the crop massage, although I don't personally like to vomit the birds because of the aspiration risk, but the massage can help break things up and possibly get them moving.

Do you have access to a vet who can perscribe something for you? I've had great luck with using reglan to get a sour crop moving and baytril if there is an accompanying infection. But you need a rx for both of those. Try offering her some yogurt or mashed hard boiled egg as well. Good luck! I hope she gets better soon! I have one with a crop issue now, but I think she has eaten a piece of glass causing an impaction. I'm hoping she'll pass it soon..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Luckily I have never had this problem....not much grass out here. Probably just keep doing what you are doing. Keep her on clear liquids and do the upside down massage. Try to rinse out the obstruction. Maybe some vitamins mixed with honey or sugar (tiny bit) in her water to help keep her strength up. There is a really good tutorial on crop surgery here somewhere......honestly it would be my last resort.

I don't use grit. My chooks mostly free range and have access to sand/dirt.

Good luck and keep us posted.

4. New Chicken Lad

New Chicken Lad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Northern New Jersey
    feed her greek yogurt, plain lowfat not the fruity ones... greek yogurt has twice as much protein, half as much sodium, three times as much calcium and less sugar carbs... I would mix in some natural no sugar added applesauce.. But definitely get some yogurt in her... good luck, helen[​IMG]

5. deeschicks19

Jun 2, 2013
    I don't know if my vet (for my dogs) will give me that. But I can find out. Thanks. I have the yogurt out there for her but she has not touched it. She hasn't eaten anything. The only poop I have seen was few hours ago and it was runny. I have her in the tractor so away from all the other girls so I can monitor her better.
    My girls basically free range. There yard is huge and it is all dirt and trees but I thought I still had to give her grit. And then when we put them in the tractor they have access to lots of grass.
    She is very attentive just not moving much. I will keep rubbing her crop. When I do I can feel it gurgle in there., But no more throw up at all.

Thank you everyone.
    Boy when you have a sick girl sure don't get much else done around the house.

6. deeschicks19

Jun 2, 2013
    Well I don't understand it. She has eaten nothing at all but yet her crop feels bigger again. She is drinking water.

7. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    It sounds like the water is filling up her crop again. That with the no poo, sounds like it could be a total obstruction. Grit might be a good idea with your grass?? not sure. Out here I have tons of sand and no grass. In the crop surgery pics it looks like long strands of grass that they pulled out.

Agreed....a sick chicken takes priority over all other chores. It's a totally consuming event. The surgery scares me a bit....so I would give her more time....unless you can see her going down hill. Is she doing?? perky or droopy?? Finding a chicken vet would be ideal. We only have 2 vets in town and neither work on poultry.

8. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    The last time I had one with a sour crop it was a big wad of grass that had gotten all tangled together. She did make a full recovery though! Some of the other things I did other than the reglan & baytril (she did have an infection, I ran a fecal on her with our vet) was i gave her a small syringe full of yogurt morning & evening, just put it on the edge inside her beak & she'd swallow. She wouldn't eat herself. Crop massages a few times a day, and always had soft easy to digest foods out for her during the day. Our vet suggested yogurt, mashed hardboiled egg, and wet feed. Check first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks to see the crop size. It takes a little bit for them to get back to normal, but once you start noticing that it is in fact emptying overnight (even a little bit) you are on the right track. I'm a big believer in the crop massaging. You can also put some baking soda in her water to cut the acidity in the crop.

1 person likes this.
  9. deeschicks19

Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks for info. Since I posted last thread we decided to try the syringe with oil again. Before we gave it to her I massaged her and she threw up allot of water and green and then a long piece of grass came out that my husband helped her by pulling it out. She definitely felt better but gave her the oil again. And she actually started walking around and pecking not much but a little. Then we let her back in the chicken yard and she went straight for the nest and is nesting. Her crop still felt spongy but not allot of texture inside but not as big for sure., I sure hope she will be ok., I know people around here think I am nuts when it comes to my girls and my dogs. They are all treated with very much love. And very spoiled. I would hate to lose her after this long fight to save her. The other day my very favorite girl was egg bound and now she is just as sweet and healthy as can be. So if I can save her I have to save this one.

10. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    It's a good sign that she is moving around! Hopefully the mass in there has started to break up and it is able to empty overnight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by