Sick Girl

Playhousechicks

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
We have a sick 16 week old Silver Laced Wyandot. She has a pale pink comb, drooping tale feathers, will drink and eat a little and stands and walks a bit but then just plops down. Her poo is almost white/yellowish and very runny. Any suggestions? We just started her on the mix with water for coccidiosis. She is separated from the other girls.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She is a sweet girl.

Thanks!

I think that you are on the right track treating her for Coccidiosis. Though she is a little old to be getting it, is it still possible. I'd give her a full course of the Coccidiosis treatment and see what happens.

Any other advice? I am not seeing any improvement yet.. Today she isn't moving about much and not eating that I have seen. She is drinking water when I give it to her but seems to be sleeping a lot. I am very worried. Isn't eating or drinking on her own. Still running poo and still the drooping tale and isn't reacting much to anything.

Thanks for your help.

She probably isn't egg bound at her age, but you could check inside her vent an inch or so with a rubber glove aimed upward, for a stuck egg. If you are using liquid Corid (amprollium) take a few drops and give to her undiluted with a dropper. You can do the same with the powder. Try wetting her food with a bit of the Corid mix. The more often she takes it, the better her chances are of recovery. With coccidiosis, they have extreme abdominal pain, and do not want to eat or drink. Sometimes after the first day of meds they will start drinking again.

I am sad to report that our sick little girl passed away sometime doing the night. I went this morning to check on her hoping that what we have tried would show a bit of success, but no such luck. We have had her separated from the rest of the girls and we are treating them with Amprol as well just as a precaution. I do appreciate your support and words of advice which I will tuck away for future reference. Thanks for all your help..

Back
Top Bottom