Sick Golden Laced Wyandotte

Temperatures in chickens are not very reliable for telling of illness. Normal temps can range from 103-107, but will fall if the chicken is not eating.
I would suspect that she is suffering from internal laying, salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis from her behavior. Hopefully she will perk up. If you lose her, I would do a necropsy to look for amber fluid in her belly egg matter in the belly, or the pressence of lash eggs. Note the color of the liver, pressence of excess fat, and look for blockage inside the gizzard and crop.

She ate quite a bit today. I kept her inside today, since she got worse when she was outside yesterday. She doesn't move around a lot, but still very interested in food. Her abdomen definable does feel swollen. What does that indicate?

Swelling in her lower abdomen could indicate internal laying, egg yolk peritonits, or ascites (fluid in the belly.) Thise are very common in hens, a common cause of death, and usually have no treatment. Most of us never learn the exact problem unless we do a necropsy after they die. I usually try to keep them comfortable, and if they seem to be suffering, I put them down.

Back
Top Bottom