Sick goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by babybluegurl22, Dec 13, 2014.

1. babybluegurl22

babybluegurl22 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Kentucky
    I got a goose that has been weak for two days barely walks and just floats in the pond. To me it seems light headed it tried to flap its wings yesterday and almost fell backwards. I don't believe it has an appetite either anyone ever have this problem? I believe she might die but I don't know.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Get her off the pond and put her where you can examine her watch that she is eating and drinking too. leaving her on the pond she may chill if she isn't well. how old is she and what does she eat? does she lay eggs if so has she been laying recently? she could be egg bound she could have an infection, she could have eaten something toxic We need more details but please put her where she will be out of the weather and check her out for any sign of swelling or injury. Even if she is too far gone to be helped she needs to be placed where she will be safe and comforted.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. babybluegurl22

Jun 16, 2014
    Kentucky
    She was sitting above the pond so I grabbed her made her a hay bed and put her on the back porch which is covered in pretty sure she hasn't eaten in two days when I picked her up she had water running out of her mouth. I have more than one goose so I don't know if she is laying eggs. All I know she seems fine Thursday morning that afternoon she was acting weak and been that way since. She eats multigrain corn but doesn't mean she couldn't find something on the ground or in the pond that was bad I don't know.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Multi grain corn?? does that mean it has other grains in it, because just corn isn't a balanced diet for geese[water fowl] I'm glad you were able to get her. And water coming out of the mouth may not mean anything other than just water coming out of the mouth. I've picked mine up before and that happen. How old is she? what about metal do you have anything laying around she might have nibbled at even plastic. Try making her a warm gruel of her feed sometimes when they aren't feeling well they will eat something like that. Make sure she has plenty of water and if you have any poultry vitamins added or electrolytes some electrolytes come with vitamins. My geese nibbled at anything I have to really watch the area they are in because it seems anytime it rains something washes up they would probably swallow. How does she look, like her eyes? is she breathing normal? can you examine her? might need help with that one. even check under her feet because they can get bumble foot which is staff infection and antibiotics maybe needed. Pond is it stagnant?

5. babybluegurl22

Jun 16, 2014
    Kentucky
    Seems like she is having trouble breathing she is breathing hard and her feet are cold. I'm thinking she will be dead my morning.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry, I hope your wrong, but in any case at least you have her secure and she knows you care. They can hide illness and disease so well they can be pretty far gone before we can even know. [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any update?

8. babybluegurl22

Jun 16, 2014
    Kentucky
    She died that night.

9. Miss Lydia