1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick gosling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewHopePoultry, Apr 21, 2009.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    one of the african goslings has started walking funny. It stumbles all over the place and can hardly eat. What could be wrong with it? It was fine yesterday and last night.

2. mamanaturale

mamanaturale Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    spokane, wa
    vitamin deficiency?

3. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    mine did that and I changed the food...he almost seemed like he was going to die...but after i stopped the old food and started on teh new one..he got better ( new food says for geese on it)

4. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I've been feeding them gamebird starter/grower.

5. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    try dumor at TSC its a yellow bag and it says for geese on it...I did and it seemed to work...plus i am treating for cocciodisis just in case, although I am not sure he had it but the vet says so according to the symptoms he has...

6. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Thanks, hopfully it makes it through the night, since the TSC is closed for tonight.

7. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    For now take away that feed and just give him sugar water because if not he might get worse...not sure though..because it could very well be something else. I am just going by what I just went through this weekend. I have heard that game bird feed works just as well for geese...but I know that mine started stumbling and stuff and sugar water would snap him out of it but then it would happen again, plus he wasn't eating or drinking...well first he was drinking tons ...then after another fit he stopped drinking all together. I had to drip drops into his mouth and he snapped out of it . The next day I gave him the new feed (no feed the prior day..only greens and sugar water and he didn't even eat the greens) and the new feed started making him feel better...by 24 hours he was a different gosling...but again I called the vet and they told me based on the symptoms they thought it was coccidiosis(even though there was no blood in the stool) so I treated for that the same day too. It's hard to say whether it was the medicine or the food(even though I haven't given him but one dose yesterday and he's due one tonight, he has been acting fine...so that tells me it could have been the deficiency). I needed the assurance of the coccidiosis because I had two goslings arrive today and I didn't want the risk of there being coccidiosis and it being contagious to the new arrivals...so just in case i treated it.

does he have diarrhea? what does it look like?

8. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I havent noticed any diarrhea from him, it looks the same as the others.

9. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    If you're feeding medicated feed, leg problems/paralysis can sometimes happen. Switch to NON-medicated immediately if that's the problem!

10. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I am and always have been feeding NON-medicated .
    He seems fine today, so I dont know what was wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by