Sick guinea fowl is not eating!! Or drinking. What to do?

annap1977

Chirping
Feb 27, 2023
Hi all, sorry this is long.. we have a girl and a boy guinea fowls, they are 2 or 3 years old. Normally they roost in a tall olive tree at night and spend the day with the chickens in the fenced run. About three weeks ago the boy (he has been attacked by a dog before and one of his wings was already not 100%) fell out of the tree in the morning and could not get up. It almost looked like he had a seizure possibly. Upon examination it turned out he was dragging his wing on the ground. We tried bandaging it several times but he kept getting the bandage off so we let him be. We stopped letting the guineas out to sleep in the tree after that, they are not happy about that, but he simply cannot make it up into the tree even with the steps that we made to help him. He was doing ok until yesterday, the only weird thing is he lost all the sleek feathers on his back and is all fluffy now, like if he was molting but I think he's too old for that? Yesterday I noticed he went into the coop right after eating, before everyone else. He seemed down. But he was eating. This morning when I went to feed them he was lying in one of the nesting boxes and didn't come. I pulled him out, he stumbled around but righted himself eventually and pecked at some food. He kept shaking his head like he was disoriented. Next time I went to feed them he was back in the nesting box w the girl and I tried feeding them but he's not interested at all. I don't want to put him in a cage because they both freaked out before when I tried to do it... Is there anything I can do to make him eat? I offered hardboiled eggs, tuna and lettuce and regular chicken layer feed in form of seeds (cluck & co organic layer blend), previously I've fed them Kruse's Perfection Super Egg pellets with peas and oyster shells, but they have had cluck &co before... I just can't help but wonder if it's all related, the fall, the feather loss and now not eating... Taking him to the vet is not an option unfortunately :(
Thank you in advance

Hi all, sorry this is long.. we have a girl and a boy guinea fowls, they are 2 or 3 years old. Normally they roost in a tall olive tree at night and spend the day with the chickens in the fenced run. About three weeks ago the boy (he has been attacked by a dog before and one of his wings was already not 100%) fell out of the tree in the morning and could not get up. It almost looked like he had a seizure possibly. Upon examination it turned out he was dragging his wing on the ground. We tried bandaging it several times but he kept getting the bandage off so we let him be. We stopped letting the guineas out to sleep in the tree after that, they are not happy about that, but he simply cannot make it up into the tree even with the steps that we made to help him. He was doing ok until yesterday, the only weird thing is he lost all the sleek feathers on his back and is all fluffy now, like if he was molting but I think he's too old for that? Yesterday I noticed he went into the coop right after eating, before everyone else. He seemed down. But he was eating. This morning when I went to feed them he was lying in one of the nesting boxes and didn't come. I pulled him out, he stumbled around but righted himself eventually and pecked at some food. He kept shaking his head like he was disoriented. Next time I went to feed them he was back in the nesting box w the girl and I tried feeding them but he's not interested at all. I don't want to put him in a cage because they both freaked out before when I tried to do it... Is there anything I can do to make him eat? I offered hardboiled eggs, tuna and lettuce and regular chicken layer feed in form of seeds (cluck & co organic layer blend), previously I've fed them Kruse's Perfection Super Egg pellets with peas and oyster shells, but they have had cluck &co before... I just can't help but wonder if it's all related, the fall, the feather loss and now not eating... Taking him to the vet is not an option unfortunately :(
Thank you in advance
I’m sorry that your Guinea cock is ill. You can try posting on the emergencies and diseases forum to see if they have any ideas. However, I think that there are a lot of possible health problems, including internal injury after falling from the tree. I hope he recovers.

I’m sorry that your Guinea cock is ill. You can try posting on the emergencies and diseases forum to see if they have any ideas. However, I think that there are a lot of possible health problems, including internal injury after falling from the tree. I hope he recovers.
Thank you for replying, unfortunately he passed :( we try not to get attached to our birds, but I am still sad. Not going to do an autopsy... Hopefully it was nothing others could have gotten.

Back
Top Bottom