sick Guinea Fowl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by michiganfarm, Feb 22, 2014.

1. michiganfarm

michiganfarm New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    I need help before I loose my favorite male Guinea.
    About a month ago I noticed he wasn't moving around the coop with the others so I brought him into our barn. After 3-4 weeks he seemed better but wasn't very active. he would only walk around if I encouraged him. He was doing good, so I thought. This morning he is very weak, occasionally he lifts his head to look around. I tried to help him stand up but he couldn't. He must be so weak he can't stand up. I am keeping him warm and have fresh food and water (vitamins & electrolyte). My Vet doesn't take care of birds so I'm on my own here. There is a TSC in a nearby town but they were at loss when I enquired their help/knowledge.

Not willing to give up, but I think I need help pin pointing what's going on here. The only medication I have on hand for my birds is Duramycin-10

Not eating much, few sips of water today. stools are runny but not much of that either. Could he be starving himself to death?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

If he has been going down hill for a long time, I would think he either has worms or a bacterial infection somewhere in his body. Has he been wormed recently? Watery stools can be from worms or from not eating enough. Is he getting thin? I would suspect worms as a possibility. Usually with bacterial infections, they get secondary infections after long periods of being sick and you might see a runny nose, sneezing or coughing. But he could have one of these as well.

If he were my bird, and he had not been wormed in the last 6 months or year, I would worm him now. Start with Wazine in the water. 1 ounce to one gallon of water for one full day. Repeat in 12 days. If that didn't do the trick, I would get him on antibiotics. Duramycin is a good broad spectrum antibiotic and will help with intestinal infections as well as respiratory.

Good luck with your baby. I hope he heals soon. [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Better yet, if you are going to worm him, use safeguard horse wormer paste. Safeguard kills off all but tapeworms. Wazine only takes care of the round worm.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. michiganfarm

michiganfarm New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    I'm off to town hopefully TSC has what I need. I started the duramycin got a few eye droppers down him. Hopefully I'm not to late in saving him.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your guinea, hope he gets better.

7. michiganfarm

michiganfarm New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    how do I calculate the dose for one small bird? wouldd like to know beforehand so I'm not misinformed by TSC.

8. Searsmom

Searsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Dandridge, TN
    Goat liquid safeguard might be easier to measure dose. Do it by weight.

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You know, I am not 100% sure exactly how much to give guineas and I don't want to steer you wrong either. :) I have dosed chickens and quail. But I have never wormed guineas before.

So if I were you, I would post this exact question in our Guinea section here on BYC. And ask the Guinea experts how much safeguard to use on these birds. You might also describe what is going on and maybe they can be of more help than I have been here. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl

Good luck with your baby!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by