1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick guinea?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Runkrod, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Runkrod

Runkrod Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    Chesapeake, VA
    Hi,
    Just started Phase 1 of my new "farm", started with 6 Guinea keets about 3 weeks old. Have them in a large wire dog crate with water, food, pine shavings, a couple of perches and a 40watt light for heat if they want it. We are on day 5 and one of the keets doesn't seem to be too happy. She has her neck scrunched down (tucking her head down), with feathers fluffed up, is making a squeek when she breathes and has a little white krusty on her beak. She doesn't seem to be eating with the others either, just kinda sulking in the corner. Although she will put out the energy when I try to pick her up. Anyone know what could be ailing my little one?
    Thanks

2. gguineasfamily

gguineasfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    I don't know. Separate her and make sure she's nice and warm and has her own food and water. She should get better on her own. The other guineas will be a nuisance to her when she's sick but I would put her in a plastic box about a cubic foot (I think a foot is about 30 centimetres) with paper towels on the floor and a heat lamp.and see if she eats when she's on her own.

3. Runkrod

Runkrod Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am late in looking for info. She has died quite suddenly. Did a little shake, almost seizure like, and then was done. Will keep a close eye on the others to make sure no one else starts to show any odd symptoms.

4. Mistahbue

Mistahbue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Brook Park, Minnesota
    So sorry to hear this. :(

5. Hello:

Some Keets simply do no make it. Genetics or other factors play a huge part in survival.

Just keep an eye on the others. Please do let us know if one of the other keets falls

to the same problem.

Guinea Goonie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by