1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick guinea

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by wskline, Dec 23, 2014.

1. wskline

wskline Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Two days ago I noticed my younger female guinea wasn't acting right. Feathers ruffled and kinda sluggish so I hearded her into a coop by herself and put a heat lamp on. She had clumps on her tail feathers and she seemed like she was leaving gas or pushing something out of her. There was a white fluid dripping out. I thought for sure she would die thru night but 2 nights later, she is still
    kicking. Could she be egg bound? None of them are laying at this time and I would think she would be too young. She was born in the Spring of this year. Anyone have this happen with their guineas?

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    She definitely has some sort of laying problem going on. Put on a rubber glove, lubricate your finger, and try to find what's causing this by sticking your finger up there. Do you provide your birds with a source of calcium? She may have had a lack of calcium, causing her thin-shelled egg to break inside of her. Now she's trying to put out the broken up shell.

This is a bit of a concern, because when a hen is laying, her digestive track "disconnects" from the cloaca and the reproductive system "connects" for the short time it takes to lay an egg. That means her digestive track has been "disconnected" for two days, and she hasn't been able to relieve herself.

Edit: she's definitely old enough to lay. My guineas were hatched in July and they're going to lay any day now. They've been mating like crazy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  3. wskline

Jun 11, 2014
    I feed them the crumble that I buy from the feed store. Maybe it is a calcium thing. I didn't think guineas layed eggs in the winter and none of the other females are laying. Guess anything is possible. The more I have been just reading, the more I think she is egg bound. I will check her as soon as I get home. It's hard enough trying to catch a guinea, let alone examine her. lol. wish me luck. and thank you Chippymom

4. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

You're welcome! If you need me, PM me. If you do find eggshell up inside, you may need to flush her vent out with epsom salt water to get everything out.

5. wskline

Jun 11, 2014
    Think worse than egg bond. I caught her and looked and looks like sack hanging out from that end. Thought maybe egg but the hole is in the middle of this sack. Couldn't feel anything like egg around that area.

6. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  7. wskline

Jun 11, 2014
    I soaked her bottom for 15 minutes and put her in dog crate in basement. There is crusty stuff which I'm assuming is dried poop coating this prolapse. I'm going to soak her again later and keep working at getting crust off. I'm really amazed she is still alive.

8. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Did you put any hemorhoid cream on it to reduce the swelling?

9. wskline

Jun 11, 2014
    Ran to pharmacy so I could get the preparation h. Soaked her again and put cream on. Seems that crust is slowly coming off.

10. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    That's great. Hopefully this will bring swelling down and let everything work itself out. Please update in the morning :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by