Sick Guineas, twitching think they are prob dying as I type

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jywel417, May 5, 2009.

1. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Okay, so since I work at a vet and have a soft heart I have been getting sick babies lately. I went to one of the smaller podunk feed stores yesterday to get game bird starter for my older 3 guineas and they had just gotten in a shipment of chicks and guineas. I inquired about a few sick ones, was given the sick ones and then a few more. I had one guinea with a MAJORLY pasty butt which I cleaned off when I got to work then supplemented them with sugar water and an AD mash (high protein prescription cat/dog food, vet books suggested it for sick chicks). There was one chick who was just very lethargic, got her in the car and she wouldn't hush, she seemed like she felt better, and one chick with a very swollen eye. Then they also gave me 2 other puny looking guineas that needed some TLC and a little chick that idk what it is and doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it. The little loud chick last night acted like it was crashing so I got it out and held it on a heating pad while I fed the others sugar water and more AD mash. Once it warmed up and started feeling better I gave it some as well. This morning everyone looked good. I have them in 2 boxes in my bedroom away from the other chickens/chicks. The 3 sicker ones in one box and the 2 puny guineas and the other chick in the other. After work I came home to find the loud chick dead. I put her in a baggie in the freezer to be buried later this week when I get a chance (yes, sucker and soft hearted is written on my forehead in BIG letters [​IMG] ) The little guinea and the eye chick seemed fine. Went outside to do a few things and came back in to find the sick box guinea laying there twitching, as most animals do when they are about to die. I got the heating pad back out, plugged it in and wrapped the little guinea keet in a towel and forced its beak open to give it a few drops of sugar water. It is not acting like it is on its way out of the world now but it is still odd. Then I noticed one of the other keets in the watch box laying in the food dish. When I picked it up it twitches its head, suddenly starts trying to run, flails over on its side, eye twitches, spasms, it also randomly starts pecking/biting at anything it can. Now that the other keet that was dying has warmed up it is doing the same thing. My chick with the swollen eye (looks like glaucoma in the one eye, the other one is normal) isn't doing any of the twitching just acts puny so i have her on the heating pad as well since she was housed with the sick guinea keets and I figure she is exposed to whatever they have. The other chick that died I never noticed doing any twitching, just seemed like it felt bad. The 3rd guinea keet and the 3rd chick are still in the watch box and act like they are okay.

Long story short, any idea on what this is? Could it be somethign that only affects guineas as the chicks of this batch don't seem to be affected? Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Forgot to say that I did set everyone up yesterday with vitamins in both waterers and put some antibiotic granules in the water of the 3 I deemed "sick" No antibiotics were placed in the water in the "watch" chicks

3. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Update:

Just lost the one that I found acting agonal in the "sick" box when I came back in from the yard. After it died there was some lovely yellow stuff pouring out of its nose/beak. I don't know if this is indicitave of something, it is the color of puss but not the normal consistency. Also wondered if it is yellow b/c of the water is tinted yellow now b/c of the vitamins and antibiotics in the water. Still have one keet in my lap on a heatingpad in a towel and the eye chick. The other chick and keet are in the watch box. I feel like I should cull the one keet that I have in my lap since I feel it is probably on its way to the same fate as this other baby I have just lost but, sad as it is, I can't bring myself to break its neck. Working at a vet I have no issues euthanizing anything but that is not a substance I have readily available [​IMG]

4. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    2nd twitcher is still alive, 3rd guinea hasnt started showing signs yet, no one have any idea? or has anyone seen this before?

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not sure what i wrong [​IMG] but I hope someone can help you!

6. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    i feel bad that I can't bring myself to cull them. I swear if I had some euthanasia solution I would just euth them but that isn't really legal for me to have at home and don't think I could talk the vets I work for into letting me have some since it is an abusable substance, go figure. People will use anything I swear

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Wow , I wish I knew how to help, but don't have a clue. It is wonderful of you to try to help them though. I wouldn't know if I could cull them either. [​IMG] I hope you get some answers.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  8. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    I too am clueless...just there with you feeling your pain..I am also on "watch" with a sick chick. You go girl..you are so much more informed than I am. You at least can make them loved for the last minutes...am I being to stupid? I am holding my gal as I am typing.

9. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  10. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    if you want to cull it, use baking soda and vinegar in a airtight container, about 3 cups vinegar and 1 cup baking soda, make sure that it seems sufficient, than put the keet in a little cup with a paper towel in it, and set the keet and cup in the airtight container, and quickly put the baking soda and vinegar in the airtight container, (not the cup the keet is in) and shut the lid, hold it down tightly, because the pressure will make the lid fly off, some people say that it is painful, but I don't believe it, I think they just fall asleep and thats it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by