Sick Gurgling Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueYonderGirl, Dec 29, 2008.

1. BlueYonderGirl

BlueYonderGirl New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    Hello everyone. We are so worried about our girl, and hope that you can help us help her.

Our Sadie is about 1 1/2 years old. She is usually our friendliest bird. She comes running to the door and "talks" to us whenever we go out back. Lately though, she stays to herself, and has even taken to roosting on the nest box, alone, rather than with her four sisters on the roost.

This morning, I noticed that she's making a gurgly sound when she breathes. She seems very lethargic. Still walking and eating, but very sleepy. When we picked her up to check her over, we found no visible signs of injury, but she greenish watery stuff fell from her beak when she opened it... as though she was salivating.

She is resting in a box now, wrapped in a towel to warm. And is gurgling with almost every breath.

Any ideas?

2. pebblessix

pebblessix Out Of The Brooder

We recently had similar problems with our birds. We used three antibiotics. Cipro, Aureomycin and tylan. We contacted Peter at First State Veterinary supply. He helped us alot. I don't mean to sound like doom and gloom, but your little bird sounds really serious. The birds we lost got very sleepy just before they died.

3. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    No expert here. While your waiting for response from a flock master use the search feature and read some of the posts. Search-gurgling, congestion, foaming at mouth, etc... This could be something basic like impacted crop or as serious as congestive heart failure. Please tell us a bit more about your girl.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

4. BlueYonderGirl

BlueYonderGirl New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    Thanks y'all, so much. . . I will do a search and see what I can come up with.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Sadie is a Barred Rock hen, about 1 1/2 years old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. She's lethargic, keeping away from the rest of the flock and just today, she's been shaking her head and gurgling. It seems as though she's trying to clear her throat. She acts really tired and keeps her feathers ruffled
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No, none of that
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I can think of
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She's been eating layer pellets and whatever she finds in the yard (bugs, grasses). She doesn't seem to be eating today though. We've tried warm oatmeal and given her dropperfuls of water. She won't take any of the oatmeal.
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Watery, with bits of green goo... looks like ground up plant material.
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? We've put her in a box, wrapped her to keep her warm. Other than that, and the water, nothing.
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Oh gosh. I don't know. I don't want to NOT take her to the vet if she can be helped. We love this chicken. But we've had a rash of house and car issues, dental bills and Christmas, so I just can't see taking her and shelling out a bunch of money just to hear that she's not going to make it.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. We live in a very mild climate, so our birds are in a large chain link dog kennel. We use kitty litter boxes with timothy grass hay for nesting purposes. The floor of the coop part dirt, part concrete stones. The girls come out to roam the yard a couple hours a day, and spend the rest of the time in their coop.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  5. BlueYonderGirl

BlueYonderGirl New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    An update - our girl has passed on.

We fed her water through the eye dropper and also some oil because it really seemed like something was caught in her throat, the way she gurgled and hacked.

She seemed to be perking up and even ate some oatmeal. She began poking around and looking out of the box as though she wanted out, so we took her out. She hollared, twitched, flopped over on her back and died. Watery greenish goo leaked from her mouth.

I have no idea what to make of this! Nor what I'm supposed to do next. Is it important to have her tested or anything, or do we just bury her or what?

6. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    I am so sorry for your loss. Since she went so quickly I don't think there was anything you could have done to save her. You kept her comfortable and safe. If you still have her body I recommend doing a Necropsy. I know this sounds gross, but it is an opportunity to learn a lot. Here are 2 links that "walk you through the procedure". If you are unable to do today put the body in a plastic bag and place in the fridge, It will keep for several days. You can also contact your State Agriculture Board and they can do a necropsy for you. Each state has it's own procedure and some have a fee. In Ohio it's $70.
    I recommend incinerating the body if you are able in your area. Burying is the next best thing. Body should be buried at least 3 feet deep to avoid being disturbed by predators.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/pub1276.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/rojo1/post.html

I lost a hen last month and did my first Necropsy. I wasn't particularly fond of this Hen, So although I felt sorry about her illness and death, I did not have a strong emotional attachment to her. I named her "Stew". Just keep reminding yourself that it's a body-She's gone free ranging. Here's the link to my Necropsy.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111653

Jennifer

PS.. I am not nearly as weird as this post makes me sound....

7. pebblessix

pebblessix Out Of The Brooder

I am so sorry about your hen. If you can get a necropsy, I would do so. If other birds become sick, you will know what you are up against. If it was some sort of blockage you will find out.

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    could she have had a crop problem?
    describe her droppings..color and consistency..

9. petyanca

petyanca Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    East Bay, CA
    Same thing happen to one of my chickens today, does anybody know what it could be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by