SICK HEN - 3rd one in a year, all similar symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UTAHEM, May 19, 2016.

1. UTAHEM

UTAHEM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    UT
    She lays down a lot, takes a few steps and lays down, will eat and drink, comb is a little droopy, bright green and white watery poo. Progresses rapidly.

She ate an egg with 1ml polyvitasol, 1/4 cup oats, and 1 tsp Dyer (well, she shared that with her remaining flock mate). They have vitamins and electrolytes in their water and she is drinking.

She hasn't laid an egg in 3 weeks - we thought it was the stress of having some (vaccinated) babies next door.

I have a broad spectrum antibiotic - I could get a wormer in the morning. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. UTAHEM

Jun 11, 2015
    UT
    By "next door" I mean a separate, but adjoining run and am looking for anything else I can do or if it would help to give them a wormer or antibiotic.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  4. UTAHEM

Jun 11, 2015
    UT
    At this point I think is ok to just try a wormer. I bought safeguard. Does anyone know how k can just give it to her?

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes you can dose just her if you wish, dosage for Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

6. UTAHEM

Jun 11, 2015
    UT
    Thank you very much! I have no idea how much she weighs. I think 5 lbs is a safe assumption. I know it won't do her any good if she doesn't have worms, but at this point, she is going to die if I don't try it. Is there anything special I need to watch for when I give it to her?

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Separate her if you haven't done so since she doesn't feel well. Make sure she drinks and eats give her her normal feed, some scrambled/hardboiled egg or tuna if she doesn't want her food.
    By any chance is her abdomen swollen, is she standing like a penguin or puffed up? Since she hasn't laid an egg in while she could possibly be suffering from something like Peritonitis.

8. UTAHEM

Jun 11, 2015
    UT
    I'll try to catch her and see about her abdomen - thanks for the suggestion. It is so similar to how the other hens died that I just didn't go anywhere else with it. I have opted to not separate her as I only have two adult hens left and if she has Mareks, so does the other hen already so it shouldn't make a difference. I think the separation will be too much on both of the hens. I do have babies next door, but they are in a separate pen and vaccinated.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If separating her will cause more stress then of course leave her be.
    I do hope she gets better, I know you are doing all you can[​IMG]

10. UTAHEM

Jun 11, 2015
    UT
    Thanks. I figure I have to try things or put her down. I know wormers are hard on them but it's a last ditch effort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by