Sick hen after losing the same breed within the last month...

smseverson

Songster
7 Years
Jul 3, 2016
West-Central Wisconsin
Reaching out for any feedback on what might be happening to our Rhode Island Reds. They seem to have gone through a tough molt, worse than our Barred Rocks and Orpingtons. Both reds kept to themselves, low tails, dark/dry combs, appearing almost out of sorts. They both bounced back within a few days of hand feeding, closing off from the others, etc. About a month ago, one of them resorted back to that sickness behavior and then died. Her crop was a little big when I found her so I assumed it was some kind of obstruction. Now the other one is acting the same only she is barely eating or drinking. She will just stand there, sometimes with her eyes closed, other times she will sit huddled up. Last night I checked and she did make it up in to the coop and on to the roost. Given how she is today, I feel like she will never be able to even get up there without falling over. I have been feverishly reading on here all afternoon. I hand fed her some soft cooked rice in the water mixture to get some liquid, a mixture of mealworms, fruit, and moist pellets. I also took out some luke warm water for her. It was almost like I had to wake her up to realize she needed to eat. While she barely ate or drank, she did get something in. I will check on her at dark and if she doesn't make it in to the coop, I'll put her in there. Any thoughts as to what might be going on or what else I can try? The other four girls are wild and crazy like usual. I'll be devastated to lose another one!

What does her crop feel like? Hard, soft, empty, squishy? Is she pooping and if so what does it look like? Pictures would be helpful. Has she been checked for mites and lice? This kind of information is most helpful in order to get the correct answers.

What does her crop feel like? Hard, soft, empty, squishy? Is she pooping and if so what does it look like? Pictures would be helpful. Has she been checked for mites and lice? This kind of information is most helpful in order to get the correct answers.
Her crop feels empty and I'm not sure she has even pooped today. I have done a good once-over of her and see no signs of any of those things. I will say she feels very thin.

If she is eating at least enough to keep her alive I'd say keep doing that for another day or so. Has she had access to old grass? Sometimes that binds up in the gizzards and clogs the stomach. Happened to one of my RIRs just last month. If I had been on my game I'd have given her olive oil or mineral oil to make it pass thru. Keep us updated.

If she is eating at least enough to keep her alive I'd say keep doing that for another day or so. Has she had access to old grass? Sometimes that binds up in the gizzards and clogs the stomach. Happened to one of my RIRs just last month. If I had been on my game I'd have given her olive oil or mineral oil to make it pass thru. Keep us updated.
No grass, just snow here. I wondered about the oil (I only have grapeseed on hand - would that work?) but I'm afraid, based on how she feels and looks, that she is starving ugh. Both of our RIRs had a really tough time with their molt. Poor girl! I just wish they could talk and tell us what's wrong!

Yeah, I know. Wait a bit and see if someone else can come up with a better solution . there are many experienced keepers here and they are invaluable. I would recommend giving vegetable oil rather than grapeseed as that has some questions surrounding it's effectiveness. Corn oil, olive oil, even coconut oil either hard or liquid is preferable. Give a squirt into the side of the beak a few times a day. Hopefully that will make everything slip-slide on through.

Seems like she has lost her appetite because of something (loss of appetite seems to be a common symptom and can be tens of things, you will need to try to decode it later. ) and now is very weak. My go to is hand feeding, which sounds like you are very familiar with.
I would try taking her completely out of sight of the other hens and get her to eat something. Soft foods are better for digestion if it ends up her GI tract is slow.
I’ve learned that each of my hens has something they like and they are all different. Try hard boiled egg, canned mackerel, blueberries, tofu, canned cat food, mealworms (cut up).
You may have to try this a few times over some hours. Looks like she needs to get her appetite up.
Try if she feels better tomorrow direct dosing her with some poultry vitamins, it seems to help with appetite.
ETA: I have had more success with feeding the hen outside of the eyes of the other hens.

Last edited:
You can worry more about what might be the cause once you get her stronger. It might be many days.
In the meantime, if you prepare for the worst hopefully this will mean nothing will happen, but you need to know where and how to send this hen to your state lab for a necropsy if she passes. Prepare for it in case it happens, you have to chill her and send her off in the mail quickly. Most likely you have something going on in your flock you need to know about.

Last edited:
I have the same going on with two of my hens. They are under a vets care and the diagnosis keeps being fluid as they are alive and now seem to be on the mend. My vets been working with UC Davis and the state lab. As far as they can tell, they think the hens have something else going on like reproductive disorder, Mareks ( they are vaccinated), Leukosis, etc and when they molted their immune system got lowered and their illness is coming out. In addition, some elevated blood lead levels that really should not be toxic seem to be contributing. Next step is to most likely have my live hens tested for Mareks, etc
Seems like a long story, but I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of a similar story, just wanted to let you know it can be like a puzzle with many pieces.

I have the same going on with two of my hens. They are under a vets care and the diagnosis keeps being fluid as they are alive and now seem to be on the mend. My vets been working with UC Davis and the state lab. As far as they can tell, they think the hens have something else going on like reproductive disorder, Mareks ( they are vaccinated), Leukosis, etc and when they molted their immune system got lowered and their illness is coming out. In addition, some elevated blood lead levels that really should not be toxic seem to be contributing. Next step is to most likely have my live hens tested for Mareks, etc
Seems like a long story, but I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of a similar story, just wanted to let you know it can be like a puzzle with many pieces.
I'm hopeful she makes it through the night. As I suspected, she didn't make it up in to the coop. I actually put her in a nesting box because she's so fragile and it's quite cold. It'll be the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning! Thanks for the feedback, I'm grateful for this site to seek out input and recommendations from others. Happy New Year!

Back
Top Bottom