Sick hen - any advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by longday, Oct 20, 2013.

1. longday

longday Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    I have 3 australorps. One has had mud butt for a month or more, so I offered grit and oyster shell, but it didn't fix the problem. Today she's looking unwell - tail drooping, mouth open, head to the sky and making small chirping sounds (she's normally the loud one). I can't see any other symptoms. I believe she's still laying, although probably not every day. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How old is this bird and are they on a regular deworming program?

3. longday

Jan 24, 2012
    She's about 2 years old. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never dewormed...I guess I'm a newbie and didn't realize I should be. I've been watching her just now and she seems to be stretching her neck skyward (maybe as she chirps).

4. longday

Jan 24, 2012
    Update and new questions: I got Rooster Booster worming pellets, probiotics and electrolytes. I isolated my hen but she's clearly not eating or drinking and is gasping for breath. Her butt is a mess, but she has no nasal discharge or any other symptoms that I can see. I fed her two or three worming pellets and about 25cc of the probiotic/electrolyte mix.

Questions:
    1. How much fluid should I try to get into her?
    2. Should I hand feed her layer pellets or scratch or will she be ok for a time without eating? Will I hurt her by "force" feeding her while she's trying to get in more air?
    3. Should I try to bath her to clean her butt or will that stress her more right now? If I bath her, how do I go about it?

Sorry for the dummy questions...I'm definitely still on my training wheels, and I'm already feeling guilty for not realizing I had to worm regularly and for letting it get to this stage, so please be gentle. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  5. longday

Jan 24, 2012
    Bumping...hoping for help. She's going downhill, I think. Her eyelids are half closed. Anything else I can try?

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I wish I could be of more help. Of greatest concern would be what is causing her to be gasping for breath. Whether it be a respiratory illness, gapeworms perhaps (though they are not very common) or even something stuck in her throat. It's just very hard to figure out which direction to point you in. It could be any number of things.

I hate to say it but it sounds like she may be to far along to help. If I was going to do any last ditch effort sort of thing to try to save her, given that it sounds like there isn't much time, I'd probably go with giving her some Tylan 50 (can be found at Tractor Supply or most feed stores) in case this is respiratory and she perhaps has pneumonia. Some Vet Rx rubbed around the nose sometimes helps with breathing. It's a shot in the dark but I've saved more then one bird by doing so myself.

Tylan is best injected but you can also give it orally, 1/2cc per day x 5 days.

You can try having a look down her throat with a flash light and maybe do a quick swab with a Q-Tip, see if you come up with any worms.

I don't know that I would try to bathe her in her current condition. You can use scissors to snip off the soiled feathers, that will at least clean her up a bit without the stress of a bath.

Good luck with her, sometimes when it's not clear what's going on all you can do is try and if it doesn't work you will know that you did your best.

7. longday

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks for your response. I think it may be too late - she's now laying down. I just hope that she doesn't suffer too much from here. Any idea as to how long she's likely to last at this point? Feed & Grain stores are now closed, so if she's still hanging in tomorrow, I'll try to get her some Tylan.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check to make sure there is nothing stuck in her throat. If she is having breathing difficulties,try placing her in bathroom with the shower turned on for about 10 minutes,monitor while she is in there to ensure she does not become overheated. Keep her warm,when ill chickens cannot regulate their body temp.

9. longday

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks again. I love the kindness of this community. I've brought her inside for the night she's in a comfortable bed of shredded paper in a box for the night. Nothing stuck - throat's clear. I have a humidifier, so will try that.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How is your girl today? Please explain "mud butt" do you mean she has a discharge from vent area? If yes,she could have vent gleet. Do not beat yourself up over worming,i have never wormed any of my girls/boys yet,never had any reason to worm them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by