sick hen any ideas or time to cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimt816, Apr 21, 2009.

1. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    one of my younger hens she is about 20-22 weeks old started acting funny day before yesterday she is eating drinking and poops are normal color but she is very disoriented and acts like she cant stand up or walk without almost falling over, I seperated her from the flock and she is in the chicken infirmary with a low watt heat lamp but no improvement any suggestions as to what might be ailing her or is it time to cull her? and if it is time to cull what is the most humane way to do it? thanks

2. gordy123

gordy123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    falls village, ct
    could she be egg bound?

3. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Or vitamin deficiency?

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Does she appear to be thin? Could it be worms?

5. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    when i took her to the infirmary she felt about the same as the other hens here age, how would i check for egg bound? i had thought about adding vitamins to water to see if that helped.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Check out Rimshoes medical page to possibly determine your problem.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=15239

If necessary I'll include a link for one method. As it is quick and sure if your hand is steady, I'm not sure anything is any more humane than an ax and chopping block, but it is a hard decision and hard to do whatever method you use. I would not be too quick until I figure out what is wrong.

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by