1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick hen, appears to have growth in mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchickee, Jun 17, 2011.

1. chickenchickee

chickenchickee New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    I have a Gold Laced Wyandotte who is lethargic and acting strange. She keeps stretching her neck, beak open, making a strange cluck. I looked inside her beak and we thought she had some scratch corn stuck but when my husband tried to get it out it was attached. You can see it in the corner of her beak. I guess it is tissue, a growth or something, yellow in color. This hen may be old, I don't know. The Silver Lace I got from the same guy died soon after I got them a couple of months ago. Any ideas of what this could be? I am so concerned my other hens will get sick if this is contagious.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like canker. Treatment is metronidazole, one 250mg pill a day for 5 days. Metronidazole can be purchased online as 'Fishzole.'

3. chickenchickee

chickenchickee New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks dawg53! I found photos of canker on a poultry health site and that is exactly what it is. Now to find the medication. Thanks again for your help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by