1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SICK HEN BETTER NOW BUT LAID SMALL EGG!!! HELP?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman101, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hey ok heres the deal i have a hen who has been sick, i have had her quarantined for 2 weeks. thankfully she is better now and i have put her back in with the rest of the flock. she hasnt laid an egg in two weeks. but today she laid one and it was really small unlike the ones she has laid in the past which are normal size. is this normal since she has been sick and this is the first one in a while she has laid. im pretty new at this so im just wondering? any help?

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I would think that is why the egg is small you should know for sure in a few days.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds fine. They occasionally even lay really tiny tiny eggs, don't worry. Any egg at all is actually a good thing, she's just getting going again.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Hens sick or not will sometimes lay one of those very small eggs. They're called either fairy eggs or fart eggs depending on how crude the owner is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by