Sick hen bubbles from mouth, air in crop

boyswillbeboys

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
RIR or possibly Red Sussex, she is 6 weeks or so shy of a year, she's definitely lost weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Started out looking like wry neck, wry neck improved within 2 days with vitamins, but she became lethargic and dazed shortly after that. She's moving very slowly, when she does move, and if you leave her standing she will stay standing, laying, she stay laying, even sitting back on her tail

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
The wry neck started 2 weeks ago

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
One other bird is moving slower, than normal, looking a little dazed at times

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
none

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No clue

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I've been syringe feeding her for the last week, with vitamin water/electrolytes and soaking chick starter (21% in some, but she's not eating much if at all on her own

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
If she is pooping I haven't seen it, the only one I have known came from her was the day I noticed the wry neck, and it was watery with white streaks

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Vitamins and chick starter when she first presented
Once the second chicken started looking off, I did more research, and decided to deworm the flock (with safeguard), as there have been a lot of poopy feathers on many of my birds (Thursday (4 days ago))
After the deworming, I started with a chicken electrolyte solution, instead of crushed children's vitamins mixed in with the food (she wasn't eating at all then)
Today I was looking her over again, and noticed her crop was spongy, did some more looking on here, and decided to try vomiting her (can't hurt at this point, if she doesn't start getting better she's likely to die soon anyway) I got out a slimy milky white fluid, after which, I gave her some electrolyte solution, and ACV, this is when I noticed she was getting air in her crop.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We will not be going to a vet, as that is to expensive, if I can get her better, I will be happy, if not, and she dies I will do a necropsy to the best of my abilitiy to see what may have caused this.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
These are from when she first started to get sick, the wry neck appears to be better, he comb and wattles are the same, maybe slightly shrunken due to decreased fluid intake.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I have a large coop with straw on the floor, the run is dirt, with straw they have drug out of the coop scattered over the top. they have 2 areas they like to dust bathe, and a 5' fence means they can go out and free range when they want, we have 4.5 acres, with trees behind the coop and run. She was one of my more avid free rangers until shortly before she got sick. She's been mostly in the coop since she was sick, I've got her wet food in a cat crate, with her blocked in a corner, so the others can't steal her food. DH will not allow me to bring her in the house, and the crate doesn't have enough ventalation for long term use, so I'm using it to protect her from the others, and allow her to access her food when she wants, if she chooses to do so, rather than have the others eat it on her.

Back
Top Bottom