Sick Hen! Can't pinpoint cause! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AshBashMom, Jan 16, 2015.

1. AshBashMom

AshBashMom New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    Michigan
    Hello! I'm new here. I've been a chicken mommy for about 2-3 months now to 8 awesome chicken hens. I think 6 of them are New Hampshire Reds, the other two...IDK.

All has been going well until a few days ago when I noticed one of my Reds, Bella-Boo, didn't come out for breakfast. I found her sitting in the coop with her chest and head held high and her tail down, shoved nose in the corner, and looking tired and weak. I reached right in and grabbed her with no fight. I sat her on my lap and inspected her all over. I even put her on her back to check her undercarriage. She didn't fight this yet she wasn't limp either. Eyes are bright, acting alert and aware, no pasty butt, no injuries that I could find, comb has nice color, her poo is small, smelly and watery.

I returned her to the flock and got things ready to quarantine her. She ate and drank quite well while with the flock for a few hours!!! She did seem to get tired and then go off to the coop to sleep. I brought the quarantine hutch into the family room so she'd be comfy and warm. I did the deed and checked her for a bound egg. Nothing! Just a little greenish water and a toot came out. No egg, nothing. Vent is clean, moist and of good color. No straining or pushing symptoms.

I started treatment of the flock with Wazine 17 wormer, Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and Probiotic supplements, Colloidal Silver (1 tsp per gallon water), Bragg ACV With The 'Mother'. Bella-Boo is getting all of this plus: Oxytetracycline HCI antibiotic and VetRx Poultry Aid (at bed time - full strength).

Today I brought her onto a towel on the floor and gave her breakfast and treats (treats are meal worms with peas, carrots and cooked jasmine rice). She's still eating and drinking like a champ! She just gets tired after about 15-20 minutes and falls asleep standing there while I pet her. Then she starts acting like she's laboring to breathe. Not like she can't breathe, more like she's exhausted. She's not panting or breathing fast. I still don't hear anything from her chest or airways. Nostrils are clear and clean. I have noticed her outer thigh feathers seem fluffed out. She is walking better without stumbling like she's weak, but, still acts as if too much action tuckers her out.

Am I doing the right thing by quarentining her from the flock? Am I harming or helping her by bringing her inside whre it's warm? I don't want to stress her with up and down temps when she eventually goe sback to the flock (I hope she does). I also don't want her to become depressed because she's without her flock. Will her flock accept her back? Sorry...Questions, questions, questions!

With all of my hours of research and reading I have come up with nothing! I just know something is NOT RIGHT!

Am I being an over protective Chicken Mommy?

Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Valbazen is a better choice for deforming since it gets all chicken worms. Wazine will only get roundworms. Valbazen could be used in 10 days after the Wazine. Dosage is 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10days. I would put her back outside to keep her used to the temperatures unless she acts like she is cold. A Probiotics such as Probios powder would be good to use once or twice a week to help with intestinal immunity. How old are your hens? Cociddiosis can be problem with chickens on soil new to them. Corid or amprollium is a good treatment for cocci.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sleeping while standing is never a good sign. You're stuck between a rock and a hard spot... Keeping her outside could kill her, but keeping her in could make returning her to the flock and cold difficult. Probably a good idea to get a baseline weight on her (I use a digital kitchen scale).

-Kathy

4. AshBashMom

AshBashMom New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    Michigan
    Thanks for the information Eggcessive! My Reds are 2 years old. Bella-Boo seemed tired, but, in good spirits earlier, but, has been sleeping/resting all day. She seems more labored in her breathing again. She's still very attentive when I check on her (which consists of me creeping up on the open hutch and peekin at her. She looks up and then goes back to resting.
    I'm going to bring her out and try to get more VetRx into her and on her to see if that helps.

Thanks for everything.

I'll update as we go!

[​IMG]

5. AshBashMom

AshBashMom New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    Michigan
    Thanks, Casportpony!
    I held Bella-Boo and we base lined together on the bathroom digital scale. She appears to be a full 5 pounds. Not sure what's normal, but, I will do this once a day as long as she's inside.

I'd much rather have to ween her back to the outside so she has the beset possible environment to get well. I feel she can put her energies to healing instead of working to keep warm too.
    Who ever would have thought one could get so attached to a chicken? They really are wonderful little beings. All with their own personalities and habits. Talkative and funny! Warm and fluffy!

Okay...I admit it...I'm in love!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. AshBashMom

AshBashMom New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    Michigan
    I want to thank my new BYC friends for your concern and guidance!!!

Unfortunately, Bella-Boo passed an hour ago in my arms as I was readying to give her her respiratory treatment and snacks before bed. She seemed as if she was getting better, but, I was wrong. I feel so sad for her. I was thinking of taking her to the vet tomorrow if she hadn't made more of an improvement by morning. She just seemed tired.

She was such a sweat baby girl!

I just can't stop crying.

BTW: The other girls are still doing great. Going to keep an eye out for any signs of anything!!!!!!!

Again.thank you all for your chicken wisdom!

<3 - Laura

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by