Sick hen, could she be depressed too?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueberrychickens, Feb 9, 2012.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    My 20 mo old BO has been separated from the flock since Sat 2/4. SHe is on antibiotics for a suspected respiratory infection & while her breathing is better its not 100%. She has eaten very little, I have tried a llot of different things she might eat, to no avail. She stares out the window, longing for her flock mates. Could she be depressed & thats why she isnt eating??? ANy suggestions??

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I know that after 24 hours on antibiotics...humans are no longer contagious. Maybe this rule of thumb can be applied to chickens as well?? Anyone??

3. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    thats what I'm thinking too. Its a warmish day (40 degrees) & I might bring her outside to at least see the others & the others can see her too.

4. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    That's what I would do! Love the avatar!

5. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I did bring her outside to see her friends. She got so excited I just had to let her out of her dog crate to free range. SHe immediately started to scratch around for grass & bugs (not to many of those out right now!) She re-integrated w/ the flock w/ no problems. I let her be w/ the others for about 1.5 hrs. When I brought her back inside the house, I gave her some fresh food.(corn & rice) She ate it all, the most she has eaten all week. So I gave her more & she ate that too. At dinner time I again gave her some food & she again ate. I'm so happy she's eating again[​IMG] I really do think seeing her friends helped. I will put her out again tmrw after she has some of her antibiotics
    I do hope she's turned the corner to recovery!!

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Great! It sounds like she's going to be fine!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by