1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick hen diagnosis?? warning poo pics!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamayy, Aug 24, 2014.

1. jamayy

jamayy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey everyone I have a 1 year old isa brown hen that in the past week has had her feathers ruffled and has gotten more and more lethargic I separated her from the flock and have wormed her and given her an antibiotic I was given from the feed store but she is still looking pretty sad...she has lost a lot of weight and has almost lime green runny poo..I noticed her panting yesterday and it was only a warm day she was sun baking for an hour or so though...[​IMG]

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

2. jamayy

Jun 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Her poo is now runnier than the above pic it is basically just lime green and like water

3. chicken-n-worms

chicken-n-worms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    Joshua Tree California
    Thats pretty interesting I was wondering why my chickens had runs it has been really hot here so they are drinking more water whew I though they might be getting sick but they were not acting like it

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, hot weather can really do a number on them. Make sure they have plenty of shade and lots of water available. You might even put out a few gallon jugs of frozen water...they love to either stand on them or lay by them...cools them down. I run a sprinkler on low to where it just "hits" inside their run..they LUV that. You could also take a muffin tin and pour corn into each of them, then pour water to cover, freeze, and then pop them out and give a few to them in the afternoon in a tray..cools them down and give them something to do, too. Best of luck to you!

5. jamayy

Jun 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok so a little update I noticed her crop is quite squishy so I massaged it and she opened her mouth and her breath smelt like something dead...is this sour crop? Would it explain the diaarhoea?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. jamayy

Jun 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Great thankyou everyone for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by