1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Hen. Eye infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reylin2435, Feb 16, 2013.

1. reylin2435

reylin2435 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Not sure whats going on. I picked it up locally but I did not inspect the hen thoroughly. The next day when I was feeding them in the chicken coop, I noticed something wrong with her eye, and drainage from her beak. Can some help with diagnosis and treatment?
    [​IMG]

2. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

mycoplama or coryza or any cold sickness. Many people on this forum will suggest will recommended to cull it because they will be life carriers and there is no cure but you can treat it with teramycin la120 injection ,5ml cc below the eye inside the sinus or you can treat it with tylon. I personally don t cull rather treat it. good luck

3. reylin2435

reylin2435 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Does it affect egg production and the quality of the eggs?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Not treating it will affect egg production if it doesn't clear up on it's own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by