Sick Hen, green poop, lethargic, lightweight, wilted comb, thirsty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gingerweavers, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Gingerweavers

Gingerweavers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi All-
    I've been reading lots of posts about sick hens, but am getting mixed symptoms. My girl is featherweight, lethargic, very thirsty, has green poop. Her poop doesn't look like the coccidia pics I've seen , but maybe it hasn't progressed? I have her separated from the flock, drinking water. She was a sturdy lass before she showed symptoms (2 days ago). Now she feels empty. She has a few curled feathers as well. Any ideas? Or anything I should be thinking of to further my search?

Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  3. Gingerweavers

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks! She is one of 13 hens. Do we need to deworm the entire flock?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, it's best to worm all your birds at once.

5. Gingerweavers

Mar 21, 2013
    I hope it's ok to post poo pics here. I don't see any worms. Which doesn't mean they aren't there... no other birds have symptoms. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I go buy worm medicine. Thanks all!

[​IMG]Wilted Comb

[​IMG]Green poop with grassy bits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Crumpled feathers

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Deworming is always a good place to start, and if you are outside of the US where Valbazen is not sold, then Flubenvet, Worm Out Gel, or Levamisole may be available where you live. Their dosage is different from Valbazen, usually used for 1-6 days depending on the product, so follow the label or post back here for help. How old is your hen by the way?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  7. Gingerweavers

Mar 21, 2013
    Valbazen- great! Thank you all so much! She is about 2.5 years old. We adopted her about a year ago from a lady who's neighbors were complaining about the noise.

8. Gingerweavers

Mar 21, 2013
    Having trouble tracking down these products locally. One place will order the Valbazen for me. I hope she hasn't killed the flock by then! Another group (on FB) suggested it could be coccidiosis. There's no blood, but it seems like the symptoms are very similar? Can I treat the entire flock for both?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Could be many things... No harm in treating her for coccidiosis. Another wormer that you could use is Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid for goats or paste for horses. Problem with it is that for it to be as effective as Valbazen, it must be given at a higher dose and for five consecutive days. The Safeguard dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for five days.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Gingerweavers , where do you live?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by