Sick hen has gone....broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chotii, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

The short version of the story goes like this:

Hen had a swollen eye, which I treated for 10 days with Terramycin when it didn't start clearing on its own after the first few days. The eye is now open, the nictating membrane works again, and she seems to be on the mend, although she has lost quite a bit of weight over the last 2 weeks, and I have to keep reminding her to eat or she doesn't seem to want to leave the nest (although her crop DOES have food in it tonight - I checked). Her comb has shriveled up, and she has stopped laying.

She has spent most of the last 2 weeks on the nest. At first I believed this was because it was a cozy safe warm place to conserve energy...now I'm not so sure.

Tonight I moved her off the nest for the Nth time, planting her in the straw in front of the feeder. She ignored the food and began to rearrange the straw around herself in classic nesting behavior, twisting her head around to put it on her back, and all. Right in the middle of the floor.

She is a Cuckoo Maran, and I know they're more likely to go broody than my others, which are production breeds.

Does this sound like broodiness? Can I break her of it by locking her out of the coop all day, and removing the nest from the coop at night? I'm worried about her weight because she had a hard time eating when her eye was so swollen, and broodiness won't help her put that weight back on/start laying again.

TIA!

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Could be, but some of my hens do the "arrange the straw into a nest and put some on my back, too" thing when they are getting ready to lay an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by