1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick hen - having no luck with antibiotics...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by My Lay D's, Dec 14, 2011.

1. My Lay D's

My Lay D's Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    My Barnavelder chicken was born in January of this year. A friend of mine raised chickens on her farm and decided that I needed 4 of them - so now I have chickens. Love them to death but I have struggled with my Barn for weeks now. A few weeks ago I heard her sneezing. So I came into the forum and looked up chicken sneezing - seemed normal most people said but keep an eye on it. Within a week so was so congested I ended up at a local vet with her. They stated they treated chickens however their knowledge seemed to be slim to none. Dr. stated we had an upper respiratory infection going on. 14 days on Clavamox 250mg twice a day would do the trick she thought. I have to admit that I did not finish the full 14 days and instead did only 7 (call me an idiot later - gotta fix my chick). I was having to crush the pills, mix with water and force them to her. I was terrified I was going to make her drown on the stuff. Luckily we made it through 7 days and she seemed to be doing fantastic. Eating well and wandering around with the other girls. Two weeks go by to a few days ago - sneezing and coughing begins again. This time rather acutely. So I check out the forum again and decide to try Tylan50 injectable. Gave the first shot of 1/2 cc last night. Going to do the next one soon. How soon should I be noticing a difference? She still seems in distress - I have brought her into the house as a last ditch effort to try and save her. SHould I be doing the Tylan once a day or twice? Is 1/2 cc enough? I was going off the dosage of .10 cc per pound and she is probably about 4.5 to 5 pounds. Thoughts anyone? Does Tylan work quickly? So then this morning when I went out to feed (just brought her in the house this AM) she had a rather funny gait and when I looked at how she was walking she is walking on her toes that are folded under her foot??? She looked terrible. I dont want to make her suffer - am I doing the right thing? SHould I try something else? I can go back to the vet again however $$ doesnt grow on trees. Its getting rather expensive. Anyone???

2. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    I'm very new to this, but in my limited knowledge, a foot folded under like that sounds like somerhing other than just a respiratory disease. Just to rule other things out, have you checked her foot to make sure it doesnt have a cut on it or anything?

You've probably already thought of this but I'd also wash hands carefully before you handle any of your other chickens. Keep her separated till you figure out whats going on. I'm sorry I can't help more. Good luck.

3. My Lay D's

Dec 14, 2011
    The foot thing has me very worried...doing my best to find a chicken vet who actually knows what they are talking about.

Does anyone have experiece with Tylan50 injectable??? If so please share all info!

4. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    Tylan 50

1/2 cc in breast for 3 consecutive days for adult sized birds.
    1/4 cc in breast for 3 consecutive days for bantam sized birds.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. My Lay D's

Dec 14, 2011
    It says page not found???

6. My Lay D's

Dec 14, 2011
    Ok well thats what Im doing - Im keeping my fingers crossed that in the AM i find a happy and perky hen in my spare bedroom! She got her second injection tonight. We shall see. Gobbled down a banana and some water so thats a good sign. Wont touch eggs or oatmeal... Oh the trials and tribulations of us chicken owners! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I had a hen with similar symptoms earlier this year (minus the curled toes). The vet prescribed antibiotics (baytril) for her respriatory infection but she didn't improve as it was a viral infection. I hope that's not your case but if its a virus, there's not much you can do but isolate her from the rest of the flock and pray for the best.

8. My Lay D's

Dec 14, 2011
    Thank you gallusdomesticus - did your hen recover or did you have to put her down? She doesnt seem much better this morning with the Tylan injections but what i find strange is she seemed to get much better from the Clavamox so thats hopeful right??? I have found a vet willing to work with me so hopefully somehting good comes out of that. She is in the house right now away from the other birds. Last night she gobbled down a few pieces of banana and drank some water with vitamins/electrolytes in it. I hate seeing her like this...

9. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Unfortunately, my hen died. I hope it doesn't happen to yours.

10. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi hun, Just to let you know when you do your second injection make sure you inject on the opposite side to where you did your first injection, Alternate every other day.. does she have any smell coming from her nose?
    She could have MG... Symptoms are

* Sneezing
    * Runny Nose
    * Bubbles in the corner of eyes
    *Sometimes Gaping Mouth
    * Sometimes Swollen eye or sinus
    * Can Get A High Temp

If its Coryza they usually Have a horrible smell from there nose.

I would keep her away from your other chickens.. Hope this helps hun. And Good Luck. Tracy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by